官方APP下载:英语全能特训(微信小程序版,支持苹果手机、安卓手机)
创办于2003年
UNSV记不住?那就记中文谐音“忧安思危”吧!
  Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
UNSV英语学习频道 - Slow and steady wins the race!
公众微信服务号
英语全能特训(微信公众服务号)
UNSV英语学习频道淘宝网店
客服短信:18913948480
客服邮箱:web@unsv.com
初级VIP会员
全站英语学习资料下载。
¥98元/12个月
您的位置:首页 > 英语学习论坛

翻译研讨:2010-07-10美国故事——火星公主

楼主:郑秀娟 日期: 回贴:0 浏览:

AMERICAN STORIES - A Princess of Mars

美国故事——火星公主

mp3.gif MP3节目录音下载 (7.29 M) 

pdf.gif PDF 节目文稿下载 (80 K) 

lrc.gif LRC 同步字幕歌词下载 (11 K)

http://www.unsv.com/voanews/specialenglish/scripts/2010/07/10/0045/

BOB DOUGHTY:  Now, the Special English program, American Stories.

(MUSIC)

Today, we begin a new series from a book by American writer Edgar Rice Burroughs.  The book is called "A Princess of Mars."  It is the first book in a series that Mister Burroughs wrote about a man who travels to Mars during the last years of the eighteen hundreds. There, the man meets strange beings and sees strange sights. At first he is a captive, then a warrior, and after many battles, a prince of a royal family.

Shep O'Neal begins the story of "A Princess of Mars."

今天,我们开始新系列----美国作家埃德加。赖斯。博莱斯的小说。小说的名称是火星王子。这是埃德加。赖斯。博莱斯关于一个人在火星上旅行的系列小说中的第一本。在那,那个男人遇到了奇怪的生物和景色。一开始,他是个俘虏,之后是一个勇士,经过很多次战争之后,成为了一个王室家庭的王子。

(MUSIC)

JOHN CARTER:  I am a very old man. How old I do not know. It is possible I am a hundred, maybe more.  I cannot tell because I have never aged as other men do.约翰卡特:我是一个很老的人。我不知道我多大年纪。可能100岁了,或者更老。我不能断定因为我从不像其他人那样记忆年龄。

So far as I can remember, I have always been a man of about thirty.  I appear today as I did forty years ago.  Yet, I feel that I cannot go on living forever.  Someday I will die the real death from which there is no escape.  I do not know why I should fear death. I who have died two times and am still alive.我所能记得的我一直是一个三十岁左右的男人。我的外表和我四十年前一样。然而,我感觉我不可能永远继续活着了。有一天,我将会不能逃脱的真正死去。我不知道为什么我会害怕死亡。别人死了两次而我却仍然活着。

I have never told this story. I know the human mind will not believe what it cannot understand.  I cannot explain what happened to me. I can only tell of the ten years my dead body lay undiscovered in an Arizona cave.

我从来没讲述过这个故事。我知道人类的思想是不会相信他所不能理解的事物的。我不能解释我身上发生了什么。我只能讲述我已经死去了的身体在亚利桑那州的一个山洞里没有被掩埋的躺了十年。

(SOUND)

My name is John Carter.  I am from the state of Virginia.  At the close of the Civil War I found myself without a home, without money and without work.

我的名字是越哈卡特。我来自佛吉尼亚州。内战接近结束的时候我发现我自己既没有家也没有钱和工作。

I decided the best plan was to search for gold in the great deserts of the American Southwest.

I spent almost a year searching for gold with another former soldier, Captain James Powell, also of Virginia.  We were extremely lucky.  In the winter of eighteen sixty-five we found rocks that held gold.

我做了最好的决定去美国西南部的大沙漠里寻找金子。我和另外同样来自佛吉尼亚的老兵船长詹姆斯鲍威尔将花了将近一年的时间搜索金子。我们的确非常的幸运。在1865年的冬天我们发现了含有金子的岩石。

Powell was trained as a mining engineer.  He said we had uncovered over a million dollars worth of gold in only three months.  But the work was slow with only two men and not much equipment.  So we decided Powell should go to the nearest settlement to seek equipment and men to help us with the work.  On March third, eighteen sixty-six, Powell said good-bye.  He rode his horse down the mountain toward the valley. I followed his progress for several hours.

鲍威尔作为一个矿业工程是受过培训。他说我们在三个月内发现了价值超过一百万美元的金子。但是在没有足够的工具情况下两个男人的工作进展的很慢。所以我们决定让鲍威尔去最近的定居定寻找设备和男人帮助我们工作。在1866年的三月三号鲍威尔和我说了再见。他骑上了他的马朝着山谷的方向下山了。我陪他走了几个小时。

The morning Powell left was like all mornings in the deserts of the great Southwest -- clear and beautiful.

Not much later I looked across the valley.  I was surprised to see three riders in the same place where I had last seen my friend.  After watching for some time, I decided the three riders must be hostile Indians.

Powell, I knew, was well armed and an experienced soldier.  But I knew he would need my aid.  I found my weapons, placed a saddle on my horse and started as fast as possible down the trail taken by Powell.

鲍威尔离开的那个早晨和大西南沙漠里所有的早晨一样--清澈而美丽。不久之后我环视峡谷,我感到惊奇的是我在最后看到我朋友的地方看到了三个骑士。观察了一会,我确定这三个骑士一定是怀有敌意的印第安人。

鲍威尔,我知道他是个武装很好的经验丰富的老兵。但是我知道他需要我的帮助。我找到我的武器,把马鞍放到马上以最快的速度朝着鲍威尔走过的小路方向出发了。

I followed as quickly as I could until dark.  About nine o'clock the moon became very bright.  I had no difficulty following Powell's trail.  I soon found the trail left by the three riders following Powell.  I knew they were Indians.  I was sure they wanted to capture Powell.

天黑前我以我能达到的最快速度追赶着。九点左右月亮变得非常明亮。对我来说沿着踪鲍威尔走过的小路没有困难。我很快发现了三个跟踪鲍威尔的骑士所走过的小路。我知道他们是印第安人。我确定他们想要俘虏鲍威尔。

(SOUND)

Suddenly I heard shots far ahead of me.  I hurried ahead as fast as I could.  Soon I came to a small camp.  Several hundred Apache Indians were in the center of the camp.  I could see Powell on the ground.  I did not even think about what to do, I just acted.  I pulled out my guns and began shooting.

突然我听到了我前面的枪声。我以自己最快的速度朝前赶。很快我到了一个小的营地,几百个印第安人站在营地的中央。我看到了地上的鲍威尔。我甚至没有考虑该做什么,我就开始行动了。我拽出了我的枪开始射击。

(SOUND)

The Apaches were surprised and fled.  I forced my horse into the camp and toward Powell. I reached down and pulled him up on the horse by his belt.  I urged the horse to greater speed.  The Apaches by now realized that I was alone and quickly began to follow.  We were soon in very rough country.

The trail I chose began to rise sharply.  It went up and up.  I followed the trail for several hundred meters more until I came to the mouth of a large cave.

印第安人惊吓的逃跑了。我迫使我的马朝营地中的鲍威尔跑去。我到了那拽住他的皮带把他拉上了马。我让我的马以更快的速度奔跑。印第安人知道现在才意识到我是一个人,开始很快的追赶我们。我们很快到了一个很原始的村落。

It was almost morning now.  I got off my horse and laid Powell on the ground.  I tried to give him water.  But it was no use.  Powell was dead.  I laid his body down and continued to the cave.

现在几乎已经快到早晨了。我下了马,把鲍威尔放到了地上。我尽量喂了他一些水。但是没有用。鲍威尔还是死了。我把他的尸体放到了地上继续往山洞里走。

I began to explore the cave.  I was looking for a safe place to defend myself, or perhaps for a way out.  But I became very sleepy.  It was a pleasant feeling.  My body became extremely heavy.  I had trouble moving.  Soon I had to lay down against the side of the cave.  For some reason I could not move my arms or legs.

我开始观察这个山洞。我想找到一个安全的地方来保护我自己。或者一条出去的路。可是我变的很困。这是很重很舒服的感觉。我的身体变的特别沉重。我移动一起很困难。很快的我就靠着山洞的一边躺下了。不知道什么原因我甚至不能够移动我的胳膊和腿。

I lay facing the opening of the cave.  I could see part of the trail that had led me here.  And now I could see the Apaches.  They had found me.  But I could do nothing.

我冲着山洞的开口躺下了。我甚至能看到一部分我来这里的小路。并且我能看到印第安人。他们已经发现我了。但是我却什么也不能做。

Within a minute one of them came into the cave.  He looked at me, but he came no closer.  His eyes grew wide.  His mouth opened.  He had a look of terror on his face.  He looked behind me for moment and then fled.

一分钟内他们中的一个进入了山洞里。他看着我,但是他没有靠近。他的眼睛突然变的很大。他的嘴巴也张开了。他的脸上充满恐怖的表情。他盯着我后面看了一会儿,然后逃跑了。

Suddenly I heard a low noise behind me.突然我听到了一声低沉的声音。

(SOUND)

So could the rest of the Apaches.  They all turned and fled.  The sound became louder.  But still I could not move.  I could not turn my head to see what was behind me.  All day I lay like this.  I tried again to rise, and again, but still I could not move.  Then I heard a sharp sound.  It was like a steel wire breaking.  I quickly stood up.  My back was against the cave wall.

I looked down.  There before me lay my body.其他的印第安人也一样。他们全都转身逃跑了。这声音变的更大了。但是我还是不能够移动。我不能回过头看看到底什么在我的后面。我像这样躺了一整天。我再次尝试这站起来。可我还是不能动。之后我听到一个尖锐的声音。像是金属断裂的声音。我很快站了起来。我的后背抵着山洞的墙。

(MUSIC)

For a few moments, I stood looking at my body.  I could not bring myself to touch it.  I was very frightened.  The sounds of the cave and the sight of my body forced me away.  I slowly backed to the opening of the cave.

过了一会,我站着看我的身后。我自己还是不能去够到它。我被吓坏了。山洞里的声音和我身体的强迫我离开。我慢慢的退回到山洞的洞口。

I turned to look at the Arizona night.  I could see a thousand stars.  As I stood there I turned my eyes to a large red star.  I could not stop looking at it.  It was Mars...the red planet...the red god of war.  It seemed to pull me near.

我转过头看亚利桑那的天空。我能看到上千颗星星。当我站在那把我的眼睛转向一颗巨大的红色的星星时。我不能自已的去看着它。它是火星。红色的星球。红色的战神。它看上去把我拉的如此之近。

Then, for a moment, I closed my eyes.  There was an instant of extreme cold and total darkness.  Suddenly I was in deep, dreamless, peaceful sleep.

之后,过了一会儿,我闭上了我的眼睛。有一瞬间的极度寒冷和彻底的黑暗。突然我进入了深度的无梦的平静的睡眠。

(MUSIC)

I opened my eyes upon a very strange land.  I immediately knew then I was on Mars.  Not once did I question this fact.  My mind told me I was on Mars as your mind tells you that you are upon Earth.  You do not question the fact, nor did I.

I found myself lying on a bed of yellow colored grass that covered the land for kilometers.  The time was near the middle of the day and the sun was shining full upon me.  It was warm.

我站在一片很陌生的土地上睁开了眼睛。我很快的知道了我在火星上。我一次也没怀疑这个事实。可是我的理智告诉我我是在地球上,就像你的理智告诉你你在地球上一样。你肯定没有怀疑过这个事实,我也没有。我发现我自己趟在一张延绵数公里的黄色的草铺成的床上。 此时接近中午了,太阳照耀在了我的身上,很暖和。

I decided to do a little exploring.   Springing to my feet, I received my first Martian surprise.  The effort to stand carried me into the Martian air to the height of about one meter.  I landed softly upon the ground, however, without incident.

我准备做一下考察。我的腿弹了起来,我接到了我做为火星人的第一个惊喜。我想站着的努力却把我带到了大概一米高的火星的空气中。我轻轻的站在了地面上,不管怎样没有发生意外。

I found that I must learn to walk all over again.  My muscles were used to the gravity of Earth.  Mars has less gravity.  My attempts to walk resulted in jumps and hops, which took me into the air.  I once landed on my face.  I soon learned that it took much less effort for me to move on Mars than it did on Earth.

我发现我必须重新学习走路。我的肌肉已经习惯了地球万有引力。火星的万有引力很小。我尝试着走路结果却又蹦又跳,把我带到了空气中。有一次我的脸着地了。我很快知道了相对于在地球上移动,我需要很少的努力就能在火星上移动了。

Near me was a small, low wall.  Carefully, I made my way to the wall and looked over.  It was filled with eggs, some already broken open.  Small, green creatures were in them.  They looked at me with huge red eyes.

我附近是个又低又矮的墙。我很小心的来到墙边,看了看。它是蛋组成的,一些已经破开了。小的绿色的生物在里面。他们用红色的大眼睛看着我。

As I watched the fierce-looking creatures, I failed to hear twenty full-grown Martians coming from behind me.  They had come without warning.  As I turned, I saw them.  One was coming at me with a huge spear, with its sharp tip pointed at my heart!

正当我观察这些狰狞的生物时,我没有听到有二十个成年火星人在我后面。他们没有任何警告的就来了。当我转身后我看到了他们。其中一个人正拿着一个长矛像我走来,它尖锐的尖正对着我的心脏。

(MUSIC)

BOB DOUGHTY:This is Bob Doughty.  You have been listening to American Stories and our version of "A Princess of Mars."  The voice of John Carter was Shep O'Neal.  Our program was written for radio, produced and directed by Paul Thompson.

Join us again next week for the next part of the Edgar Rice Burroughs story, "A Princess of Mars,"  on the Special English program, American Stories, on the Voice of America.

将UNSV.COM的文章分享到人人

----------------------------------------
最佳回复 该帖于2010年7月12日被版主推荐为精华帖。

分享到:
版权所有©2003-2019 南京通享科技有限公司,保留所有权利。未经书面许可,严禁转载本站内容,违者追究法律责任。 互联网经营ICP证:苏B2-20120186
网站备案:苏ICP备05000269号-1中国工业和信息化部网站备案查询
广播台