官方APP下载:英语学习播客(支持苹果手机、安卓手机)
创办于2003年
UNSV记不住?那就记中文谐音“忧安思危”吧!
  Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
UNSV英语学习频道 - Slow and steady wins the race!
公众微信服务号(英语全能特训)
英语全能特训(微信公众服务号)
UNSV英语学习频道淘宝网店
客服短信:18913948480
客服邮箱:web@unsv.com
初级VIP会员
全站英语学习资料下载。
¥98元/12个月
您的位置:首页 > 英语学习论坛

教育报道- 美国学习:只需努力就能得高分?

楼主:crazyer 日期: 回贴:0 浏览:

EDUCATION REPORT - Studying in the US: High Marks Just for Trying?

教育报道- 美国学习:只需努力就能得高分?

This is the VOA Special English Education Report.

这是美国之音特别节目的教育报道。

This week in our Foreign Student Series, we continue our discussion about grades.

这一周在我们外国学生系列节目中,我们继续关于学习成绩等级的讨论。

Would you want a doctor who got high marks in medical school just for trying really, really hard? Apparently many college students would have no problem with that. They believe students are owed a good grade simply because they put a lot of effort into a class. Or at least that is what they told researchers last year at the University of California, Irvine.

你认为一个医学院的高材生仅需要很努力,很努力地学习吗?显然地,许多大学生对此毫无疑问。他们相信学生要获得一个好成绩等级很简单,因为他们对一个课程注入大量的努力。至少去年他们是这样告诉加州欧文分校的研究员。

The researchers asked more than eight hundred undergraduates if they

agreed or disagreed with some statements. For example: "If I have completed most of the reading for a class, I deserve a B in that course." And: "A professor should not be annoyed with me if I receive an important call during class."

研究员访问了800多名在校学生对于一些观点的看法。例如:“如果我读完了一个课程的大部分阅读材料,我那课程的分数可以得B等。”“教授不会对我在课堂上接一个重要的电话而感到生气。”

Just sixteen percent thought it was OK to take that phone call. But sixty-six percent agreed that a professor should consider effort and not just the quality of a student's work when deciding grades. And forty percent thought they should get a B, the second highest mark, just because they did most of the reading for class.

仅有16%的学生认为在课堂上接电话是没问题的。但有60%的学生同意教授在决定学生成绩等级时应该考虑学生的努力而不是仅仅考虑到学生的工作质量。同时,有40%的学生认为他们应该得到B等的分数,仅仅因为他们完成了大部分的阅读工作。

The findings appeared in the Journal of Youth and Adolescence. The students were ages eighteen to twenty-five.

这些调查结果公布在青少年杂志上,而被调查的学生年龄介于1825岁之间。

Some experts are not surprised that students often see no difference between effort and results. Social critics like to say that in children's activities these days; everyone gets an award just for trying, so no one will feel rejected. Or so it may seem.

一些专家对于学生们认为努力和结果是一致的这个现象并不惊讶。这些日子,社会评论家在讨论孩子的行为时似乎都喜欢这样说,每一个人都能获得成功只要你努力尝试,所以没有人会被拒绝。或许这是真的。

Yet competition to get into the best colleges is fiercer than ever. Students may worry that low grades will keep them out of graduate school or a good job.

然而,进入名校的竞争远远比以前激烈。学生可能会担心过低的成绩等级会让他们不能毕业或找不到一份好的工作。

And there may be another explanation: pressure from parents to get a good return on the family's investment. These days, college can cost more than a house.

或许这里有另外一个解释:学生的忧虑来源于父母对孩子的压力,父母希望在孩子能使得家庭对他们的投资是一个高回报率的投资。这些日子,大学的费用可能比一个房子还多。

A former teaching assistant recently wrote to the New York Times about his experience with grade expectations. He would try to explain it this way when students asked for a top grade just for studying hard in chemistry class: What if a baseball player came to spring training and worked harder than all the others, but still could not play well. Would the team accept him anyway, just because he tried so hard? The students would say no. But most of them would still ask for an A.

一个前任助教最近给纽约时报写了他关于学生成绩等级给予的经历。在化学课上学生仅由于努力学习而要求他成绩给A等时,他尝试用以下方式给他们解释:假如一个篮球运动员参加了春季训练并比任何人都努力,但仍然球打得不好,那么球队会因为他努力而无论如何都接受他吗?学生的回答是不会,但是他们大部分仍然要求A等的成绩。

And that's the VOA Special English Education Report, written by Nancy Steinbach. Tell us what you think about grades, and read what others have to say, at www.unsv.com.  Click on Foreign Student Series.  I'm Steve Ember.

这是美国之音特别英语节目的教育报道,由南希·史坦巴哈编写。在www.unsv.com上点击外国学生系列节目,你可以告诉我们你关于成绩等级的看法,和看到别人的看法。我是史蒂夫·莫比尔。

多谢指教~~~~~~~~

分享到:
版权所有©2003-2019 南京通享科技有限公司,保留所有权利。未经书面许可,严禁转载本站内容,违者追究法律责任。 互联网经营ICP证:苏B2-20120186
网站备案:苏公网安备 32010202011039号苏ICP备05000269号-1中国工业和信息化部网站备案查询
广播台