官方APP下载:英语全能特训(微信小程序版,支持苹果手机、安卓手机)
创办于2003年
UNSV记不住?那就记中文谐音“忧安思危”吧!
  Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
UNSV英语学习频道 - Slow and steady wins the race!
公众微信服务号
英语全能特训(微信公众服务号)
UNSV英语学习频道淘宝网店
客服短信:18913948480
客服邮箱:web@unsv.com
初级VIP会员
全站英语学习资料下载。
¥98元/12个月
您的位置:首页 > 英语学习论坛

翻译研讨:2008/03/15美国故事《杀人者》(海明威著名小说)

楼主:Alan Chan 日期: 回贴:3 浏览:

翻译研讨:2008/03/15美国故事《杀人者》(海明威著名小说)
----这篇让许多普通读者多少有点莫名其妙的小说,受到众多优秀作家的激赏,拥有世界性的巨大影响,绝不可能没有它的精妙之处!
.
美国之音提供的文本及Mp3,请到下列地址下载:
http://www.unsv.com/voanews/specialenglish/scripts/2008/03/15/0045/
.
AMERICAN STORIES - The Killers
美国故事《杀人者》
Written by Ernest Hemingway
欧内斯特·海明威(1899-1961)
Now, the weekly VOA Special English program -- AMERICAN STORIES.
美国之音慢速英语每周专题节目《美国故事》现在开始。
Our story today is called "The Killers". It was written by Ernest Hemingway. Here is Larry West with the story.
今天的故事是《杀人者》,作者是欧内斯特·海明威,拉里伟斯特给我们讲故事。
.
Original Work--(not the version for VOA Special English)
(附注:下面作品是海明威原著的,其版本并非美国之音慢速英语播放的版本,慢速英语《美国故事》为了在15分钟讲完,作了小小的改编。后面我附上慢速英语播放的版本,你只要看了海明威原著的版本,你就能听得懂慢速英语播放的版本,故这个改编的版本也没必要提供中文翻译了。)
.
The door of Henry's lunchroom opened and two men came in. They sat down at the counter.
亨利那家供应快餐的小饭馆的门一开,就进来了两个人。他们挨着柜台坐下。
"What's yours?" George asked them.
“你们吃点什么吗?”乔治问他们。
"I don't know," one of the men said. "What do you want to eat, Al?"
“我说不来,”一个人说。“阿尔,你想吃什么?”
"I don't know," said Al. "I don't know what I want to eat."
“我也说不来,”艾尔说,“我也说不来想吃什么。”
Outside it was getting dark. The streetlight came on outside the window. The two men at the counter read the menu. From the other end of the counter Nick Adams watched them. He had been talking to George when they came in.
外边,天快断黑了。街灯光打窗外漏进来。坐在柜台边那两个人在看菜单。尼克·亚当斯打柜台另一端瞅着他们。刚才他们两人进来的时候,尼克正在同乔治谈天。
"I'll have a roast pork tenderloin with apple sauce and mashed potatoes," the first man said.
“我要一客烤猪里脊加苹果酱和马铃薯泥,”头一个人说。
"It isn't ready yet."
“这个菜还没有准备。”
"What the hell do you put it on the card for?"
“那么你们为什么把它放在菜单上呢?”
"That's the dinner," George explained. "You can get that at six o'clock."
“那是正餐,”乔治解释说,“六点钟你可以吃到。”
George looked at the clock on the wall behind the counter.
乔治瞄一眼挂在柜台后面墙上的那只钟。
"It's five o'clock."
“五点啦。”
"The clock says twenty minutes past five," the second man said.
“钟上是五点二十分。”第二个人说。
"It's twenty minutes fast."
“快了二十分。”
"Oh, to hell with the clock," the first man said. "What have you got to eat?"
“嗐,倒霉的钟。”第一个人说,“你有什么可吃的?”
"I can give you any kind of sandwiches," George said. "You can have ham and eggs, bacon and eggs, liver and bacon, or a steak."
“我可以供应你们随便哪一种三明治,”乔治说,“你可以吃火腿蛋,咸肉蛋,猪肝咸肉,或者牛排。”
"Give me chicken croquettes with green peas and cream sauce and mashed potatoes."
“给我一分奶油和马铃薯糊拌鸡肉饼。”
"That's the dinner."
“那是正餐。”
"Everything we want's the dinner, eh? That's the way you work it."
“我们要什么你都说是正餐,是不是?你们就是这么做生意的。”
"I can give you ham and eggs, bacon and eggs, liver—"
“我可以给你们火腿蛋,咸肉蛋,肝……”
"I'll take ham and eggs," the man called Al said. He wore a derby hat and a black overcoat buttoned across the chest. His face was small and white and he had tight lips. He wore a silk muffler and gloves.
“我吃火腿蛋,”叫做阿尔的那个人说。他戴一顶常礼帽,穿一件单排扣的黑大衣。他的脸又小又白,嘴唇绷得很紧。他还围一条丝围巾,戴着手套。
"Give me bacon and eggs," said the other man. He was about the same size as Al. Their faces were different, but they were dressed like twins. Both wore overcoats too tight for them. They sat leaning forward, their elbows on the counter.
“我吃咸肉蛋,”另一个人说。他的身材跟阿尔不相上下。两个人面孔不同,但是穿得象一对双生儿似的。两个人穿的大衣都很紧。他俩坐在那儿身子探在前面,胳膊支在柜台上。
"Got anything to drink?" Al asked.
“有什么喝的没有?”阿尔问。
"Silver beer, bevo, ginger-ale," George said.
“白啤酒,姜汁啤酒,”乔治说。
"I mean you got anything to drink?"
“我说的是有什么可喝的?”
"Just those I said."
“就是刚才我说的那些。”
"This is a hot town," said the other. "What do they call it?"
“这是一座很热的城市,”另一个人说,“他们把它叫做什么?”
"Summit."
“热点。”
"Ever hear of it?" Al asked his friend.
“听到过吗?”阿尔问他的朋友。
"No," said the friend.
“没有,”他的朋友说。
"What do they do here nights?" Al asked.
你晚上在这儿做什么?”阿尔问。
"They eat the dinner," his friend said. "They all come here and eat the big dinner."
“他们在这儿吃正餐,”他的朋友说。“他们都来到这儿大吃大喝。”
"That's right," George said.
“对,”乔治说。
"So you think that's right?" Al asked George.
“你觉得对吗?”阿尔问乔治。
"Sure."
“当然。”
"You're a pretty bright boy, aren't you?"
“你是个挺机灵的小伙子,是不是?”
"Sure," said George.
“当然。”乔治说。
"Well, you're not," said the other little man. "Is he, Al?"
“不,你不是的。”另一个矮小的人说。“阿尔,他是吗?”
"He's dumb," said Al. He turned to Nick. "What's your name?"
“他是个傻瓜,”阿尔说。他转过去问尼克:“你叫什么名字?”
"Adams."
“亚当斯。”
"Another bright boy," Al said. "Ain't he a bright boy, Max?"
“又一个机灵的小伙子,”阿尔说,“迈克斯,他是不是一个机灵的小伙子呀?”
"The town's full of bright boys," Max said.
“这个城市里尽是机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯说。
George put the two platters, one of ham and eggs, the other of bacon and eggs, on the counter. He set down two side dishes of fried potatoes and closed the wicket into the kitchen.
乔治把两盆东西放在柜台上,一盆是火腿蛋,另一盆是熏肉蛋。他又放下两碟装着炸马铃薯的添菜,然后关上通向厨房那扇便门。 
"Which is yours?" he asked Al.
“哪一盘是你的?”他问阿尔。
"Don't you remember?"
“你忘记了吗?”
"Ham and eggs."
“火腿蛋。”
"Just a bright boy," Max said. He leaned forward and took the ham and eggs. Both men ate with their gloves on. George watched them eat.
“真是一个机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯说。他探一探身子把火腿蛋拿过来。两个人都戴着手套在吃,乔治望着他们在吃。
"What are you looking at?" Max looked at George.
“你看什么?”迈克斯对乔治望了望。
"Nothing."
“没看什么。”
"The hell you were. You were looking at me."
“去你的。你在看我呢。”
"Maybe the boy meant it for a joke, Max," Al said.
“迈克斯,小伙子也许是说着玩儿的,”阿尔说。
George laughed.
乔治笑了。
"You don't have to laugh," Max said to him. "You don't have to laugh at all, see?'
“你不必笑,”迈克斯对他说。“你丝毫也不必笑,知道吗?”
"All right," said George.
“可以,”乔治说。
"So he thinks it's all right." Max turned to Al. "He thinks it's all right. That's a good one."
“他觉得可以,”迈克斯转过来对阿尔说。“他觉得可以。这小伙子不错。”
"Oh, he's a thinker," Al said. They went on eating.
“哦,他是一个有头脑的人,”于是两个人继续吃下去。
"What's the bright boy's name down the counter?" Al asked Max.
“柜台那一边的一个机灵的小伙子叫做什么?”阿尔问迈克斯。
"Hey, bright boy," Max said to Nick. "You go around on the other side of the counter with your boy friend."
“喂。机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯对尼克说。“你跟你的伙计到柜台后面去转一转吧。”
"What's the idea?" Nick asked.
“什么事儿?”尼克问。
"There isn't any idea."
“什么事儿也没有。”
"You better go around, bright boy," Al said. Nick went around behind the counter.
“你最好走开去,于是尼克走到柜台后面去了。
"What's the idea?" George asked.
“什么事儿?”乔治问。
"None of your damned business," Al said. "Who's out in the kitchen?"
“跟你毫不相干,”阿尔说。“谁在厨房里面?”
"The nigger."
“黑人。”
"What do you mean the nigger?"
“你说的黑人是干什么的?”
"The nigger that cooks."
“当厨子的黑人。”
"Tell him to come in."
“叫他进来。”
"What's the idea?"
“什么事儿?”
"Tell him to come in."
“叫他进来。”
"Where do you think you are?"
“你可想到你此刻是在什么地方吗?”
"We know damn well where we are," the man called Max said. "Do we look silly?"
“我们此刻在什么地方,我们当然是很清楚的。”那个叫做迈克斯的汉子说,“是不是我们的样子傻里傻气的。”
"You talk silly," A1 said to him. "What the hell do you argue with this kid for? Listen," he said to George, "tell the nigger to come out here."
“你说话倒有点傻里傻气,”阿尔对他说,“你跟那个家伙争论什么呢?听我说,”他对乔治说,“告诉那个黑人到这儿来一下。”
"What are you going to do to him?"
“你预备怎样对待他?”
"Nothing. Use your head, bright boy. What would we do to a nigger?"
“没什么。机灵的小伙子,你得用你的脑子想一想,咱们对一个黑人会有什么呢?”
George opened the slit that Opened back into the kitchen. "Sam," he called. "Come in here a minute."
乔治打开了通往厨房的小窗口。“山姆,”他叫道,“进来一下。”
The door to the kitchen opened and the nigger came in. "What was it?" he asked. The two men at the counter took a look at him.
通往厨房的门开了,那个黑人走进来。“什么事?”他问。坐在柜台前面的那两个人朝他望了望。
"All right, nigger. You stand right there," Al said.
“行,黑伙计。你就站在那儿吧,”阿尔说。
Sam, the nigger, standing in his apron, looked at the two men sitting at the counter. "Yes, sir," he said. Al got down from his stool.
黑人山姆穿着围裙站在那儿,望着坐在柜台前面的两个汉子。“是,先生,”他说。阿尔从他坐的凳子上下来。
"I'm going back to the kitchen with the nigger and bright boy," he said. "Go on back to the kitchen, nigger. You go with him, bright boy." The little man walked after Nick and Sam, the cook, back into the kitchen. The door shut after them. The man called Max sat at the counter opposite George. He didn't look at George but looked in the mirror that ran along back of the counter. Henry's had been made over from a saloon into a lunch counter.
“我要跟黑人和那个机灵的小伙子一同到后面厨房里去。”他说。“黑伙计,回到厨房里去。机灵的小伙子,你跟他一道去。”于是那个矮个儿跟在尼克和厨子山姆的后面走到后面的厨房里去。他们进去以后门就关上。叫做迈克斯的那个人跟乔治对着面坐在柜台跟前。他不看乔治一眼,只是望着挂在柜台后面墙上的一面镜子。原来的亨利的酒吧间,现在改成了便餐馆了。
"Well, bright boy," Max said, looking into the mirror, "why don't you say something?"
“喂,机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯说,一面望着镜子,“为什么你不说话呀?”
"What's it all about?"
“这都是干什么?”
"Hey, Al," Max called, "bright boy wants to know what it's all about."
“嗐,阿尔,“迈克斯叫道,“机灵的小伙子想知道这都是干什么。”
"Why don't you tell him?" Al's voice came from the kitchen.
“干吗你不告诉他呢?”阿尔的声音从厨房里传出来。
"What do you think it's all about?"
“你以为这都是干什么?”
"I don't know."
“我不晓得。”
"What do you think?"
“你怎么想法?”
Max looked into the mirror all the time he was talking.
迈克斯讲话的时候一直望着镜子。
"I wouldn't say."
“我不愿说。”
"Hey, Al, bright boy says he wouldn't say what he thinks it's all about."
“嗐,阿尔,机灵的小伙子说,他不愿说他想这为的是什么?”
"I can hear you, all right," Al said from the kitchen. He had propped open the slit that dishes passed through into the kitchen with a catsup bottle. "Listen, bright boy," he said from the kitchen to George. "Stand a little further along the bar. You move a little to the left, Max." He was like a photographer arranging for a group picture.
“好,我听到了,”阿尔从厨房里说。他把通厨房的那个小窗口用手撑开,盘子和番茄汁的瓶子从那里送进厨房里去。“听着,机灵的小伙子,”他从厨房里对乔治说。“站得离柜远一点。你往左边挪动一步,迈克斯。他象一个安排团体照相的摄影师似的。
"Talk to me, bright boy," Max said. "What do you think's going to happen?"
“对我说,机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯说。“你以为要发生什么事情呢?”
George did not say anything.
乔治一声也不吭。
"I'll tell you," Max said. "We're going to kill a Swede. Do you know a big Swede named Ole Anderson?"
“我告诉你,”迈克斯说。“咱们要去杀死一个瑞典人。你知道叫做奥勒·安德生的一个高大的瑞典人吗?”
"Yes."
“是的。”
"He comes here to eat every night, don't he?"
“他每晚来这儿吃饭,是不是?”
"Sometimes he comes here."
“他有时候来这儿。”
"He comes here at six o'clock, don't he?"
“他在六点钟来这儿,是不是?”
"If he comes."
“要是他来的话。”
"We know all that, bright boy," Max said. "Talk about something else. Ever go to the movies?"
“这一切我们都晓得,机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯说,“讲些别的事情吧。你有时去看电影吗?”
"Once in a while."
“偶尔去看一次。”
"You ought to go to the movies more. The movies are fine for a bright boy like you."
“你应该多去看看电影。象你这样一个机灵的小伙子,看看电影是非常好的。”
"What are you going to kill Ole Anderson for? What did he ever do to you?"
“你们干吗要把奥勒·安德生杀死呢?他有过什么对不起你们的地方没有?”
"He never had a chance to do anything to us. He never even seen us."
“他从来也没机会对我们怎样过。他一次没见过我们。”
And he's only going to see us once," Al said from the kitchen:
“他只会见到咱们一次了,”阿尔从厨房里说。
"What are you going to kill him for, then?" George asked.
“那么,你们干吗要杀死他呢?”
"We're killing him for a friend. Just to oblige a friend, bright boy."
“我们替一个朋友去杀他。只是受人之托,机灵的小伙子。”
"Shut up," said Al from the kitchen. "You talk too goddamn much."
“住嘴,”阿尔从厨房里说。“他妈的你讲得太多了。”
"Well, I got to keep bright boy amused. Don't I, bright boy?"
“是啊,我叫机灵的小伙子觉得有趣。是不是,机灵的小伙子?”
"You talk too damn much," Al said. "The nigger and my bright boy are amused by themselves. I got them tied up like a couple of girl friends in the convent."
“他妈的你讲得太多了,”阿尔说。“那个黑人跟我这个机灵的小伙子他们自己在觉得有趣呢。我把他们两个象是修道院的一对女朋友似的绑在一起了。”
"I suppose you were in a convent."
“我想你原来象是在一所修道院里吧?”
"You never know."
“你不知道。”
"You were in a kosher convent. That's where you were."
“你原来象是在一所真正的修道院里。你就是从那儿来的。”
George looked up at the clock.
乔治抬头望了望钟。
"If anybody comes in you tell them the cook is off, and if they keep after it, you tell them you'll go back and cook yourself. Do you get that, bright boy?"
“要是有人来了,你告诉他们厨子不在,要是他们还在追问,你告诉他们你到后面去亲自替他们做莱。你懂得了吗,机灵的小伙子?”
"All right," George said. "What you going to do with us afterward?"
“懂得了,”乔治说。“以后你们将要怎样对待我们呢?”
"That'll depend," Max said. "That's one of those things you never know at the time."
“那要看情况了,”迈克斯说,“有许多事情在当时是不知道的,这件事就是。”
George looked up at the dock. It was a quarter past six. The door from the street opened. A streetcar motorman came in.
乔治抬头望了望钟。此刻是六点一刻。临街的大门开了,一个电车司机走进来。
"Hello, George," he said. "Can I get supper?"
“喂,乔治,”他说。“有晚饭吃吗?”
"Sam's gone out," George said. "He'll be back in about half an hour."
“山姆出去了,”乔治说。“大概半个钟头左右就会回来。”
"I'd better go up the street," the motorman said. George looked at the clock. It was twenty minutes, past six.
“那么我倒不如到街那一头去吧,”那个司机说。乔治望了望钟。现在是六点二十分。
"That was nice, bright boy," Max said. "You're a regular little gentleman."
“很好,机灵的小伙子,”迈克斯说。“你真是个十足的绅士。”
"He knew I'd blow his head off," Al said from the kitchen.
“他知道我会用枪打死他的,”阿尔从厨房里说。
"No," said Max. "It ain't that. Bright boy is nice. He's a nice boy. I like him."
“不,”迈克斯说。“你说得不对。机灵的小伙子是不错的。他是一个很好的小伙子。我喜欢他。”
At six-fifty-five George said: "He's not coming."
到了六点五十五分的时候,乔治说:“他不会来了。”
Two other people had been in the lunchroom. Once George had gone out to the kitchen and made a ham-and-egg sandwich "to go" that a man wanted to take with him. Inside the kitchen he saw Al, his derby hat tipped back, sitting on a stool beside the wicket with the muzzle of a sawed-off shotgun resting on the ledge. Nick and the cook were back to back in the corner, a towel tied in each of their mouths. George had cooked the sandwich, wrapped it up in oiled paper, put it in a bag, brought it in, and the man had paid for it and gone out.
餐馆里还有另外两个人。乔治到厨房去了一次,“去”那儿做一分给一个客人要带走的面包片夹火腿蛋,他在厨房里看见阿尔把常礼帽歪戴在脑后,坐在便门旁边的凳子上,一支锯短了的枪的枪口靠在架子上。尼克和厨子在一个墙角落里背对背给捆在一起,每人的嘴上绑了一条毛巾。
乔治做了夹肉面包,用油纸把它包起来,放进一个袋子,然后拿到餐厅去,那个人付了钱便走了。
"Bright boy can do everything," Max said. "He can cook and everything. You'd make some girl a nice wife, bright boy."
“机灵的小伙子什么事都会做,”迈克斯说。“他会做菜,什么都会做。机灵的小伙子,你可以把一个女孩子训练成一个很好的老婆。”
"Yes?" George said, "Your friend, Ole Anderson, isn't going to come."
“怎么?”乔治说。“你的朋友,奥勒·安德生不来了吗?”
"We'll give him ten minutes," Max said.
“我们再等他十分钟,”迈克斯说。
Max watched the mirror and the clock. The hands of the clock marked seven o'clock, and then five minutes past seven.
迈克斯留意着镜子和那座钟。钟上的指针是七点钟,一会儿又过了五分钟。
"Come on, Al," said Max. "We better go. He's not coming."
“来,阿尔,”迈克斯说,“咱们不如回去吧。他不会来了。”
"Better give him five minutes," Al said from the kitchen.
“最好再等他五分钟。”阿尔从厨房里说。
In the five minutes a man came in, and George explained that the cook was sick.
过了五分钟,一个人走进来,乔治向他说厨子生病了。
"Why the hell don't you get another cook?" the man asked. "Aren't you running a lunch-counter?" He went out.
“干吗你们不另找一个厨子呢?”那个人问。“你不是在开餐馆吗?”说罢他走出去了。
"Come on, Al," Max said.
“来,阿尔。”迈克斯说。
"What about the two bright boys and the nigger?"
“那两个机灵的小伙子跟那个黑人该怎么办?”
"They're all right."
“他们是挺可靠的。”
"You think so?"
“你这样想吗?”
"Sure. We're through with it."
“当然。咱们已经没事了。”
"I don't like it," said Al. "It's sloppy. You talk too much."
“这不能叫我开心,”阿尔说:“粗心大意的。你话讲得太多了。”
"Oh, what the hell," said Max. "We got to keep amused, haven't we?"
“啊,这又有什么要紧,”迈克斯说。“咱们只不过是开开心罢了,是不是呢?”
"You talk too much, all the same," Al said. He came out from the kitchen. The cut-off barrels of the shotgun made a slight bulge under the waist of his too tight-fitting overcoat. He straightened his coat with his gloved hands.
“不管怎样,你还是话讲得太多了,”阿尔说。他从厨房里走出来。锯短了的鸟枪枪身在他的过于窄小的大衣上身里面微微地鼓出来。他用他的戴着手套的手把衣服理了一理。
"So long, bright boy," he said to George. "You got a lot of luck."
“再会了,机灵的小伙子,”他对乔治说。“你太走运了。”
"That's the truth," Max said. "You ought to play the races, bright boy."
“那倒是真的,”迈克斯说。“你应该赌一赌赛马去,机灵的小伙子。”
The two of them went out the door. George watched them, through the window, pass under the arc-light and across the street. In their tight overcoats and derby hats they looked like a vaudeville team. George went back through the swinging door into the kitchen and untied Nick and the cook.
那两个人走出门去。乔治从窗户里面望着他们在弧光灯下经过,走到街对面去。他们的窄小的大衣和常礼帽使他们看去象一对玩杂耍的人似的。乔治从转门走进厨房,把尼克跟厨子两个人松开了绑。
"I don't want any more of that," said Sam, the cook. "I don't want any more of that."
“那回事儿我再也不想碰到了,”厨子山姆说。“那回事儿我再也不想碰到了。”
Nick stood up. He had never had a towel in his mouth before.
尼克站起了身,他以前从来也没有被人用一条毛巾绑在嘴上过。
"Say," he said. "What the hell?" He was trying to swagger it off.
“告诉我,”他说。“究竟是怎么一回事儿?”他正在设法把毛巾甩掉。
"They were going to kill Ole Anderson," George said. "They were going to shoot him when he came in to eat."
“他们要杀害奥勒·安德生,”乔治说。“他们准备在他进来吃饭的时候用枪把他打死。”
"Ole Anderson?"
“奥勒·安德生吗?”
"Sure."
“正是。”
The cook felt the corners of his mouth with his thumbs.
那个厨子用大拇指摸着他的嘴角。
"They all gone?" he asked.
“他们都走了吗?”他问。
"Yeah," said George. "They're gone now."
“是的,”乔治说。“他们都走了。”
"I don't like it," said the cook. "I don't like any of it at all"
“这件事真叫我不高兴,”厨子说。“没有一星半点叫我高兴的。”
"Listen," George said to Nick. "You better go see Ole Anderson."
“听我说,”乔治对尼克说,“你最好到奥勒·安德生那儿去看一看他。”
"All right."
“好的。”
"You better not have anything to do with it at all," Sam, the cook, said. "You better stay way out of it."
“你最好丝毫也别过问这件事情,”厨子山姆说。“你最好离远点。”
"Don't go if you don't want to," George said.
“你要是不愿意就别去吧,”乔治说。
"Mixing up in this ain't going to get you anywhere," the cook said. "You stay out of it."
“牵连在这件事里面对你不会有什么好结果的,”厨子说。“你还是离远点。”
"I'll go see him," Nick said to George. "Where does he live?"
“我要去看他,”尼克对乔治说。“他住在什么地方?”
The cook turned away.
厨子掉过脸去。
"Little boys always know what they want to do," he said.
“小孩子们对于自己想做的事情总是自以为是知道的,”他说。
"He lives up at Hirsch's rooming-house," George said to Nick.
“他住在赫思奇的公寓里。”乔治对尼克说。
"I'll go up there."
“我要到那儿去一趟。”
Outside the arc-light shone through the bare branches of a tree. Nick walked up the street beside the car-tracks and turned at the next arc-light down a side-street. Three houses up the street was Hirsch's rooming-house. Nick walked up the two steps and pushed the bell. A woman came to the door.
外面弧光灯的亮光透过光秃的树枝。尼克沿着电车轨道走去,到下一盏弧光灯的地方转了一个弯,朝一条小街走去。街上的第三幢房子就是赫思奇的公寓。尼克走上那两条阶石,然后去按门铃。一个女人来到了门前。
"Is Ole Anderson here?"
“奥勒·安德生住在这里吗?”
"Do you want to see him?"
“你想看他吗?”
"Yes, if he's in."
“是的,要是他在家的话。”
Nick followed the woman up a flight of stairs and back to the end of a corridor. She knocked on the door.
尼克跟着那个女人走上一段楼梯,然后又折转来走到一条走廊的尽头处。她敲了门。
"Who is it?"
“谁呀?”
"It's somebody to see you, Mr. Anderson," the woman said.
“有人来看你,安德生先生,”那个女人说。
"It's Nick Adams."
“我是尼克·亚当斯。”
"Come in."
“进来。”
Nick opened the door and went into the room. Ole Anderson was lying on the bed with all his clothes on. He had been a heavyweight prizefighter and he was too long for the bed. He lay with his head on two pillows. He did not look at Nick.
尼克推开了门,走进屋里去。奥勒·安德生穿着全身衣服正躺在床上。他从前是个重量级的拳击家。他的身子长得那张床容不下去。他的头靠在两个枕头上。他没有朝尼克望一眼。
"What was it?" he asked.
“什么事儿?”
"I was up at Henry's," Nick said, "and two fellows came in and tied up me and the cook, and they said they were going to kill you."
“我在亨利的餐馆里干活,”尼克说。“两个家伙进来,把我跟厨子用绳子绑上,他们说他们要杀死你。”
It sounded silly when he said it. Ole Anderson said nothing.
他说这些话的时候叫人听去有些呆里呆气似的。奥勒·安德生—声也不吭。
"They put us out in the kitchen," Nick went on. "They were going to shoot you when you came in to supper."
“他们把咱俩赶到厨房里,”尼克说下去。“他们要趁你来咱们这儿用晚餐的时候用枪把你打死。”
Ole Anderson looked at the wall and did not say anything.
奥勒·安德生望着墙,一声也不吭。
"George thought I better come and tell you about it."
“乔治觉得,要我最好来把这件事情告诉你。”
"There isn't anything I can do about it," Ole Anderson said.
“这件事我什么办法也没有,”奥勒·安德生说。
"I'll tell you what they were like."
“我告诉你他俩是什么样儿的。”
"I don't want to know what they were like," Ole Anderson said. He looked at the wall. "Thanks for coming to tell me about it."
“我不想知道他俩是什么样儿的,”奥勒望着墙。“谢谢你来告诉我这件事情。”
"That's all right."
“别客气。”
Nick looked at the big man lying on the bed.
尼克望着躺在床上的那个身材魁梧的汉子。
"Don't you want me to go and see the police?"
“你要我去找警察吗?”
"No," Ole Anderson said. "That wouldn't do any good."
“不。”奥勒·安德生说。“那不会有什么用处的。”
"Isn't there something I could do?"
“有什么可以让我去办的事情?”
"No. There ain't anything to do."
“不。没有什么要办的事情。”
"Maybe it was just a bluff."
“也许这只是恐吓罢了。”
"No. It ain't just a bluff."
“不,这不是恐吓。”
Ole Anderson rolled over toward the wall.
奥勒·安德生翻了一个身朝向墙壁那边去。
"The only thing is," he said, talking toward the wall, "I just can't make up my mind to go out. I been here all day."
“唯一的一件事情是,”他对着墙壁说,“我还拿不定主意下决心走出去。我已经呆在家里一天了。”
"Couldn't you get out of town?"
“你不能走到城外去吗?”
"No," Ole Anderson said. "I'm through with all that running around."
“不,”奥勒·安德生说,“我再不想那样跑来跑去的了。”
He looked at the wall.
他望着墙。
"There ain't anything to do now."
“现在没有什么可办的事了。”
"Couldn't you fix it up some way?"
“你不能想点办法把这件事情了结掉吗?”
"No. I got in wrong." He talked in the same flat voice. "There ain't anything to do. After a while I'll make up my mind to go out."
“不成。我得罪了人啦。”他依然用那种懒洋洋的腔调在说话。“没有什么好办法。过一会儿,我再拿定主意走出去。”
"I better go back and see George," Nick said.
“那么我不如回去看一看乔治吧。”尼克说。
"So long," said Ole Anderson. He did not look toward Nick. "Thanks for coming around."
“再会了,”奥勒·安德生说。他并没有朝尼克望一眼。“谢谢你来这儿一趟。”
Nick went out. As he shut the door he saw Ole Anderson with all his clothes on, lying on the bed looking at the wall.
尼克走出门去。当他带上门的时候,他看见奥勒·安德生穿着全身的衣服躺在床上,眼睛一直望着墙。
"He's been in his room all day," the landlady said downstairs. "I guess he don't feel well. I said to him: ‘Mr. Anderson, you ought to go out and take a walk on a nice fall day like this,' but he didn't feel like it."
“他已经在屋里呆了一整天,”女房东在楼下说。“我想他的身体恐怕不舒服。我对他说:‘安德生先生,这样好的秋天天气,你应该出去散散步才是,但是他却不想出去。”
"He doesn't want to go out."
“他不愿出去。”
"I'm sorry he don't feel well," the woman said. "He's an awfully nice man. He was in the ring, you know."
“我很替他的身体不舒服觉得不好过,”那个女人说,“他这个人真是好极了。你知道吗,他是干拳击那一行的。”
"I know it."
“我知道。”
"You'd never know it except from the way his face is," the woman said.
“要不是看到他脸上的那个模样,你决不会知道他是干拳击的,”那个女人说。
They stood talking just inside the street door. "He's just as gentle."
他俩紧靠在大门的里边在谈话。“他这个人真够和气的。”
"Well, good night, Mrs. Hirsch,' Nick said.
“好吧,晚安,赫思奇太太,”尼克说。
"I'm not Mrs. Hirsch," the woman said. "She owns the place. I just look after it for her. I'm Mrs. Bell."
“我不是赫思奇太太,”那个女人说。“这所公寓是她的。我只是个替她照管的人。我是贝尔太太。”
"Well, good night, Mrs. Bell," Nick said.
“好,晚安,贝尔太太,”尼克说。
"Good night," the woman said.
“晚安,”那个女人说。
Nick walked up the dark street to the corner under the arc-light, and then along the car-tracks to Henry's eating-house. George was inside, back of the counter.
尼克从暗淡的街上走到弧光灯照看的街角,然后沿着电车轨道回到亨利的餐馆去。乔治正在柜台后面。
"Did you see Ole?"
“你看到奥勒了吗?”
"Yes," said Nick. "He's in his room and he won't go out."
“看到了,”尼克说。“他呆在屋里,不愿走出去。”
The cook opened the door from the kitchen when he heard Nick's voice.
山姆刚打开厨房的那扇门,就听到尼克的声音。
"I don't even listen to it," he said and shut the door.
“我连听也不要听,”他说,说罢就把门关上。
"Did you tell him about it?" George asked.
“你把那件事情告诉他了吗?”乔治问。
"Sure. I told him but he knows what it's all about."
当然。我告诉了他,但是他知道这都是怎么一回事儿。”
"What's he going to do?"
“那么他打算怎么办呢?”
"Nothing."
“什么打算也没有。”
"They'll kill him."
“他们要杀他。”
"I guess they will."
“我想他们会的。”
"He must have got mixed up in something in Chicago."
“他准是卷进什么赌博斗殴的事儿里面了。”
"I guess so," said Nick.
“我也这样想,”尼克说。
"It's a hell of a thing!"
“事情真糟糕。”
"It's an awful thing," Nick said.
“事情太可怕了,”尼克说。
They did not say anything. George reached down for a towel and wiped the counter.
他俩不再说下去。乔治伸手去拿一条毛巾,把柜台擦了擦。
"I wonder what he did?" Nick said.
“我不晓得到底他干下了什么事情?”尼克说。
"Double-crossed somebody. That's what they kill them for."
“欺骗了什么人啦。他们就是为了这个缘故要把他杀害的。”
"I'm going to get out of this town," Nick said.
“我准备离开这个市镇,”尼克说。
"Yes," said George. "That's a good thing to do."
“好呀,”乔治说,“那倒是一桩好事。”
"I can't stand to think about him waiting in the room and knowing he's going to get it. It's too damned awful."
“我不忍去想,他明知道要被人杀害还在屋里等待着。太可怕了。”
"Well," said George, "you better not think about it."
“得啦,”乔治说,“你最好不如别去想着这件事儿吧。”
.
.
    象海明威所有中短篇一样,《杀人者》的情节很简单:杀手阿尔和麦克斯来到亨利开的快餐店,寻杀一个叫做奥利·安德列森的人,他们进入店里,先是一番不着边际的闲聊,然后制服了亨利、尼克和黑人萨姆,而安德列森那天恰好没到这家快餐店吃饭,两个杀手也就象什么事都没发生、本来什么事也不想做似的走了。然后,尼克到旅馆通知安德列森,可安德列森明明知道有人要杀他这事是确实无疑的,竟冷淡极了,简直就是无动于衷地等死。
    此篇小说主要通过对话反映情节、塑造人物。全篇自然流畅,不动声色地描述了一桩进行中的杀人事件,而无一句褒贬,更无大事渲染,乃海明威小说的极品。
  《杀人者》的名气实在大得有点吓人,在海明威所有的中短篇中,《杀人者》被关注、被评论的密集程度大概仅次于《老人与海》,把这篇让许多普通读者多少有点莫名其妙的小说,摆在二十世纪经典小说的神龛上,估计不会有太多的异议。一篇几千字的小说,受到如此众多优秀作家的激赏,拥有如此世界性的巨大影响,绝不可能没有它的精妙之处。
    人们可以清晰地看出海明威创作的高超之处,同时也不难理解他在美国文学历史上享有至高声誉的缘由。
(中文翻译和作品说明由Alan Chan提供,QQ号为305532379,欢迎探讨。)
.
.
Work--the version for VOA Special English
(附注:以上作品是海明威原著的,其版本并非美国之音慢速英语播放的版本,慢速英语《美国故事》为了在15分钟讲完,作了小小的改编。下面我附上慢速英语播放的版本,你只要看了上面海明威原著的版本,你就能听得懂下面慢速英语播放的版本,故这个改编的浓缩版本也没必要提供中文翻译了。)
.
The door of Henry's lunchroom opened and two men came in. They sat down at the counter.

"What would you like to eat? " he asked them.

"I don't know. " one of them said, "I don't know what I want to eat. "

Nick Adams, another customer, watched them from across the room. He had been talking to George when they came in.

"I'll take ham and eggs. " The man called Al said. He wore a hat and a black coat that buttoned across his chest. His face was small and white, and he had thin tight lips. He wore a silk scarf around his neck and gloves on his hands.

"What're you having, Max? " Al asked his partner.

"Bring me bacon and eggs. " Max said without looking at George.

Max was the same size as Al. Their faces were different, but they were dressed like twins: both wore heavy winter coats that were too small for them. George waded to the kitchen and came out of a few minutes later carrying two dishes of food.

"Which is yours? " he asked Max.

"You're a really smart boy, aren't you? " Max said.

He leaned forward and took the plate with the bacon and eggs on it. Both men ate with their gloves on. George watched them eat.

Al looked across the room.

"What's the name of that smart boy over there? " He asked George.

"Adams. " Nick said for himself,

"My name is Nick Adams. "

"All right, smart boy, come stand over here near your friend. " Al pointed to George.

"What are you going to do? " George asked.

"That's none of your business. " Al said.

"Who is out in the kitchen, the cook? "

George nodded "yes".

"Tell him to come out here. " Max ordered.

George knocked on the kitchen door.

"Sam, " he called, "come in here a minute. "

The door to the kitchen opened and Sam came out. The two men at the table looked at him. Al got up and pushed Nick and Sam back into the kitchen. The door shut after them. The man called Max didn't look at George, but looked in a mirror that was on the wall near the table.

"Talk to me, smart boy. " Max said.

"What do you think we are going to do? "

George did not say anything.

"I'll tell you. " Max said, "We're going to kill someone. Do you know a big man named Ole Anderson? "

"Yes, " George said at a low voice, "he sometimes comes in here to eat. "

Max looked at George.

"He sometimes comes in here? You mean he comes in here every night at six o'clock, don't you? "

"Why are you going to kill Ole Anderson? " George asked, "What did he ever do to you? "

"He never did anything to us. " Max said, "He's never even seen us. We're going to kill him for a friend, smart boy. "

"Shut up, Max. " Al shouted from the kitchen. "You're talking too much! "

George looked at the clock near the door, it was five minutes to six. Max pushed George to get his attention.

"If anybody comes in, tell them that the cook is gone for the day. You understand that, smart boy? "

"All right. " George said, "but, what are you going to do to us afterwards? "

"We don't know yet. " Max said.

During the next hour, two other people came in to the restaurant, once George went into the kitchen to make a ham-and-egg sandwich for a man who wanted to take it with him. When he was in the kitchen, George saw Al with his hat pushed back on his head. He was sitting on a chair near the door. A small shotgun rested in his arms. Nick and Sam, the cook, were sitting on the floor. Al had tied them up and had stuffed a towel in their mouths. George cooked the ham and eggs, put them on a roll of bread and put the sandwich in a brown paper bag. The man paid for his food and left.

"This smart boy can do everything. " Max said.

"He can even cook. You would make a girl a nice wife, smart boy."

"Your friend Ole Anderson isn't going to come tonight." George said, "it's already a quarter to seven."

"We'll give in ten minutes." Max said.

Max watched the mirror and the clock. The hands of the clock marked seven o'clock, and then five minutes past seven.

"Come on now, Al," said Max, "We'd better go. He's not coming tonight."

Al came out of the kitchen. The small shotgun made a little bump on the inside of his tight winter coat.

"What about the three smart boys?" Al asked.

"They're all right." Max said.

"Goodbye, smart boy." he said to George, "You were all lucky tonight."

The two of them went out of the door.

George watched them through the window. They passed under the streetlight, across the street. George went back through the kitchen door and untied Nick and Sam.

"They were going to shoot Ole Anderson." George said.

"They were going to shoot him when he came in here to eat? Ole Anderson?" Nick asked.

George nodded.

"Listen!" George said to Nick, "You had better go see Ole Anderson."

"I'll go see him." Nick said, "Where does he live?"

"He lives up at Hirsch's hotel." George said.

Outside the streetlights were shining through the branches of the tree. Nick walked up the street to Hirsch's Hotel. He walked in and saw a woman near the main desk.

"Is Ole Anderson here?" he asked.

"Yes, he's in." she said.

Nick followed the woman up a flight of stairs and back to the end of a dark hallway. She knocked on one of the doors.

"Who is it?" a voice asked.

"It's someone to see you, Mr. Anderson."

"Come in."

Nick Adams opened the door and went into the room. Ole Anderson was lying on the bed with all his clothes on. He did not looked at Nick.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I was in George's restaurant tonight." Nick said, "and two fellows came in, tied up me and the cook, an ...and said they were going to kill you."

Ole Anderson looked at the wall.

"There is anything I can do about it." he said finally, "Thanks for coming to tell me, though."

Nick looked at the big man lying on the bed.

"Don't you want me to get the police?" he asked.

"That wouldn't do any good." Ole Anderson said.

"Well," Nick said, "Maybe you could get out of the town."

"No, "Ole Anderson said, "I'm through with all that running away." He looked at the wall.

"No, I made a mistake once." he said in a flat voice, "Now there's nothing I can do about it. After a while I'll go off to walk."

"So long." Nick said.

"Goodbye." said Ole Anderson, "Thanks for coming." he did not looked at Nick.

Nick walked up the dark street to the corner and went back into George's restaurant.

"Did you see Ole?" George asked as soon as he saw Nick.

"Yes." Nick said.

"Well," George asked, "What is he going to do?"

"Nothing!" Nick said.

"But they'll kill him!"

"I guess they will." Nick sighed.

George reached for a towel and began wiping one of the tables.

"I wonder what he did." he said.

"Probably he did one of the gangsters in Chicago." Nick said. He stood up.

"I'm going to get out of this town. I can't stand thinking about him waiting in his room and knowing he's going to be killed. It's too awful!"

"Well," said George, "You'd better not think about it."
(中文翻译和作品说明由Alan Chan提供,QQ号为305532379,欢迎探讨。)

----------------------------------------
最佳回复 该帖于2009年3月15日被版主推荐为精华帖。

分享到:
1楼 作者:Miss Hour 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
很不错啊,这么长的文章,翻译得很有美国味!
2楼 作者:boby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

 He had propped open the slit that dishes passed through into the kitchen with a catsup bottle. arranging for a group picture.
他把通厨房的那个小窗口用手撑开,盘子和番茄汁的瓶子从那里送进厨房里去。

prop someting with another thing....

他用茄酱瓶子把那扇传递碟子的小门撑开.

前面解释了那扇小门:

George opened the slit that Opened back into the kitchen. "Sam," he called. "Come in here a minute."
乔治打开了通往厨房的小窗口。“山姆,”他叫道,“进来一下。”

用定语从句解释:那扇门是往厨房方向张开的

3楼 作者:boby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

"I suppose you were in a convent."
“我想你原来象是在一所修道院里吧?”
"You never know."
“你不知道。”
"You were in a kosher convent. That's where you were."
“你原来象是在一所真正的修道院里。你就是从那儿来的。”

直接引语,动词用的是过去时,原因是suppose,虚拟语气,但所述情况却是当时的情况。

例如: I wish I could stay longer.

版权所有©2003-2019 南京通享科技有限公司,保留所有权利。未经书面许可,严禁转载本站内容,违者追究法律责任。 互联网经营ICP证:苏B2-20120186
网站备案:苏ICP备05000269号-1中国工业和信息化部网站备案查询
广播台