官方APP下载:英语全能特训(微信小程序版,支持苹果手机、安卓手机)
创办于2003年
UNSV记不住?那就记中文谐音“忧安思危”吧!
  Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
UNSV英语学习频道 - Slow and steady wins the race!
公众微信服务号
英语全能特训(微信公众服务号)
UNSV英语学习频道淘宝网店
客服短信:18913948480
客服邮箱:web@unsv.com
初级VIP会员
全站英语学习资料下载。
¥98元/12个月
您的位置:首页 > 英语学习论坛

2009.7.19 美国人物志——Marx兄弟使美国人笑傲30年代大危机

楼主:Miss Hour 日期: 回贴:6 浏览:

今天我们来说说Marx兄弟的故事吧。他们在19世纪30,40年代出演了许多有趣的电影,并且风靡至今。

VOICE ONE:

There were five Marx Brothers. The most famous were Julius, Leonard and Adolph. They were born in New York City between eighteen eighty-six and eighteen ninety. Their father made clothing. Their mother wanted them to become performers. Julius, Leonard and Adolph started performing when they were children. Along with their two brothers, they performed in stage shows called vaudeville in New York. They sang songs, danced and told jokes.

Marx兄弟有五人。最出名的是Julius, Leonard and Adolph。他们出生于1886年至1890年的纽约市。父亲是做服装的。他们的母亲希望他们成为表演家。从还是孩子的时候起,Julius, Leonard and Adolph就开始演出了。和其他两个兄弟一起,他们在纽约表演被叫做歌舞杂耍的舞台秀。他们唱歌,跳舞,还讲笑话。

Julius, Leonard and Adolph Marx began making funny movies in nineteen twenty-nine. They changed their first names. Julius became Groucho. Leonard became Chico. Adolph became Harpo. Another brother, Herbert, appeared in the first five Marx Brothers movies. He was called Zeppo. He did not play a funny man like the other three. He played a good-looking young man.

Julius, Leonard and Adolph从1929年开始制作有趣的电影。他们改了名字,Julius改为Groucho, Leonard 改为Chico,还有Adolph改为Harpo。另外一个兄弟Herbert在兄弟五人的第一部电影中露面。他叫Zeppo。他不像其余三个兄弟那样扮演有趣的角色,而是扮演英俊的年轻男子。

VOICE TWO:

Groucho Marx looked funny. He had large black eyebrows and a hairy mustache. But they were painted on his face. He spoke very quickly. And he walked in a funny way. He played people with funny names, like Rufus T. Firefly. Otis B. Driftwood. And Doctor Hugo Z. Hackenbush.

Groucho Marx看起来很搞笑。他有着粗黑的眉毛和大胡子,但似乎是画在他的脸上一样的古板。他讲话语速很快,并且走路滑稽。他演的角色都有着有趣的名字,比如 Rufus T. Firefly. Otis B. Driftwood. 和Doctor Hugo Z. Hackenbush。

Groucho was not a very nice person in the movies. He often insulted or made fun of rich or important people. He made fun of doctors, college officials, opera singers, diplomats and government officials. He even insulted his son, played in this example by Zeppo.

Groucho在电影里不是个好人物。他经常侮辱或者取笑有钱或有权势的人。他取笑医生,大学官员,歌剧歌手,外交官和政府官员。他甚至还侮辱他的儿子,比如由Zeppo扮演的儿子。

ZEPPO: "Dad, let me congratulate you. I'm proud to be your son."

ZEPPO说:“爸爸,让我祝贺你吧。作为你的儿子我很自豪。”

GROUCHO: "My boy, you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm ashamed to be your father. I'd have horsewhipped you if I had a horse. You may go now. Leave your name and address for the girl outside and if anything turns up, we'll get in touch with you. Where are you going?"

GROUCHO说:“我的孩子,你说的话正好和我想说的相反。作为你的爸爸我很惭愧啊。如果我有一匹马的话,我一定会用它的马鞭打你。你现在可以走了。把你的名字和地址留下给外面的女孩。同时如果什么事发生的话,我们会和你联系的。你去哪里?”

ZEPPO: "Well, you just told me to go."

ZEPPO:“好的,你刚刚告诉我已经叫我走了。”

GROUCHO: "So that's what they taught you in college. Just when I tell you to go, you leave me. You know you can't leave a schoolroom without raising your hand, no matter where you're going."

GROUCHO:“这就是大学教会你的东西?只是我叫你走的时候你就离开我?你要知道无论你要去哪里,你都不能在没有举手示意的情况下就离开教室的吗?

ZEPPO: "Anything further, father?"

ZEPPO:“那还有什么事吗,爸爸?”

GROUCHO: "Anything further, father? That can't be right. Isn't it "anything father, further"? The idea! I married your mother because I wanted children. Imagine my disappointment when you arrived!"

GROUCHO:“还有别的事吗,爸爸?那是不对的。不该是"anything father, further?"这个主意!我和你妈妈结婚是因为我想有个孩子。想一下当你降生时我有多么失望!”

VOICE ONE:

Chico Marx talked as if he was born in Italy. He spoke English that was not correct. Many other funny men spoke as though they came from other countries. They were making fun of themselves and other immigrants who did not speak English well. Chico also made funny jokes about words and expressions that sound alike but have different meanings. For example, in one movie a woman sings with a very high falsetto voice. She says "I have a falsetto voice." Chico then says "Well, my last student had a false set of teeth."

Chico Marx说话的口音似乎他出生于意大利。他说的英语不是很标准。很多其他有趣的人也像是从外国来的那样说话。他们取笑自己,还取笑那些说英语不好的移民。Chico也开些关于词汇表达的玩笑,那些词语音同意异。举个例子,在一场电影里,一个女人用很高的美声唱歌。她说:“我有假声。”Chico说“好的,我上个学生有一副假牙。”

Chico also was known for performing what was called the comedy of the absurd. He talked about things that were so untrue or unreasonable that they were funny. Here is an example. Chico is supposed to spy on someone called Rufus T. Firefly. Chico reports his progress to the man who asked him to spy on Firefly. To "shadow" someone is to secretly follow that person.

Chico也因为出演被叫做荒诞剧的剧目而出名。他讲述相当不真实或非理性的事情,以至于显得可笑。这里有个例子,Chico被指望侦查某个叫做Rufus T. Firefly的人。Chico向要求他侦查Firefly的男子汇报进展。"shadow"某人就是秘密跟踪那个人。

CHICO: "Well, you remember you gave us a picture of this man and said follow him?"

CHICO:“唔,你还记得你给我一张这个男人的照片,并且说跟踪他了吗?”

MAN: "Oh, yes."

男子:“哦,是的。”

CHICO: "Well, we get on the job right away. And in one hour, even less than one hour, we lose the fix. That's pretty good work, eh?"

CHICO:“这样的,我们立马展开了工作。在一小时之内,或者少于一小时吧,我们丢失了目标。那样做的很不错吧,额?”

MAN: " I want a full, detailed report of your investigation."

男子:“我想要一份完整详细的调查报告。”

CHICO: "All right. I tell you. Monday we watch Firefly's house. But he no come out. He wasn't home. Tuesday we go to the ball game, but he fool us. He no show up. Wednesday, he go to the ball game, but we fool him. We no show up. Thursday was a double-header, nobody show up. Friday it rained all day. There was no ball game. So we stayed home. We listened to it over the radio".

CHICO:“好的,我来说。周一我们监视了 Firefly的住所。但是他没出来。他不在家。周二我们去了球赛,但是他耍了我们。他就没露面。周三他去了球赛,但是我们耍了他。我们没出现。周四时double-header,我们都没去球赛。周五下了一整天的雨。就没有球赛。所以我们呆在家里,是通过收音机听球赛进展的。”

MAN: "Then you didn't shadow Firefly!"

男子:“那你们就没有跟踪Firefly!”

CHICO: "Oh, sure, we shadow Firefly. We shadow him all day."

CHICO:“哦,当然了,我们跟踪了Firefly。我们整天跟踪他。”

MAN: "What day was that?"

男子:“那是哪一天呢?”

CHICO:" It was Shadowday (Saturday)! That's some joke, eh, Boss!"

CHICO:“那是Shadowday(周六)!这里还有些笑话呢,额,老板!”

Chico also played the piano in a funny way. Chico did to music what he did to the English language. He made fun of it.

Chico弹钢琴也很滑稽。他对音乐的就像对英语一样。他从中取乐。

(MUSIC)

VOICE TWO:

Harpo Marx had curly yellow hair, but it was not really his hair. It was false hair, called a wig. He never said a word in any of the movies. Instead, he acted out what he wanted to say. He could make people laugh without saying a word. People always knew what he was thinking. He made funny sounds with horns and whistles to express his thoughts and feelings.

Harpo Marx有着卷曲的黄发,但是这并不是他的真发。它是假发,被叫做“法官帽”。他在任何一部电影里都不说一句话。相反,当他想说什么时他就表现出来。他一言不发就可以使得人们大笑。人们总是知道他在想什么。他用喇叭和哨子发出的有趣声音来表达他的想法和感受。

In one movie, a kind policeman tries to give him some advice to stay away from bad people. As the policeman shakes Harpo's hand, you can hear pieces of silver that Harpo has stolen fall out of his clothes.

在一场电影中,一位好心的警察试着建议他离坏人远一点。当这位警察摇着Harpo 的手时,你可以听见他偷的银块从衣服里掉出来的声音。

POLICEMAN: "You better come with me, young fellow."

警察:“你最好和我走一趟,小伙计。”

GROUCHO: " Don't take him away, officer."

GROUCHO:“警官,请别把他带走。”

POLICEMAN: "All right. I'll let him go this time. But I want to give you some advice. You're running around with the wrong kind of people. Why don't you go home?"

警察:“好吧,我这回就放过他了。但是我想给你点建议。你老是在和一群不入流的人鬼混。为什么你不回家呢?”

CHICO: "He got no home."

CHICO:“他没家可回的。”

POLICEMAN: "Go home for a few nights. Stay home. Don't you know your poor old mother sits there, night after night, waiting to hear your steps on the stairs?"

警察:“回去几天吧。在家里呆着。难道你不知道你可怜的老母亲坐在那里,夜复一夜,等着你踏上楼梯的脚步声吗?”

CHICO: "He got no stairs."

CHICO:“他不走楼梯的。”

POLICEMAN: " I can see a little light burning in the window."

警察:“我可以看见窗户里亮着的点点灯光了。”

GROUCHO: "No you can't. The gas company turned it off."

GROUCHO:“不,你做不到吧。煤气公司都把它关掉了。”

POLICEMAN: "Now, what I'm telling you is for your own good. And if you listen to me, you can't go wrong."

警察:“现在我告诉你的都是为你自身利益着想的。如果你听我的,你就不会错的。”

As you might have guessed from his name, Harpo Marx was famous for playing the musical instrument called the harp. He made beautiful music like this on the harp in several movies.

正如你或许已经从他的名字里猜到什么,Harpo Marx由于弹奏被称为竖琴的乐器而名声远扬。他像这样用竖琴在好几部电影里演奏美妙的音乐。

----------------------------------------
 该帖于2009年7月20日被版主推荐为精华帖。

分享到:
1楼 作者:Alan Chan 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

翻译的很好!支持鳌儿!继续加油!

2楼 作者:Liu Jianjun 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
以前没有听说过这俩兄弟!
3楼 作者:zhulieaa 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
Done well,thanks.
4楼 作者:tricky 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

My boy, you took the words right out of my mouth

我的孩子,你说了我想说的话

5楼 作者:wallace 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
查了一下Intermediate Learner's Engligh-Chinese Dictionary,原来mustache是美国用法,英国用法是moustache,发音也不一样。
6楼 作者:longjie 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
THX~~
版权所有©2003-2019 南京通享科技有限公司,保留所有权利。未经书面许可,严禁转载本站内容,违者追究法律责任。 互联网经营ICP证:苏B2-20120186
网站备案:苏ICP备05000269号-1中国工业和信息化部网站备案查询
广播台