官方APP下载:英语学习播客(支持苹果手机、安卓手机)
创办于2003年
UNSV记不住?那就记中文谐音“忧安思危”吧!
  Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
UNSV英语学习频道 - Slow and steady wins the race!
公众微信服务号
英语全能特训(微信公众服务号)
UNSV英语学习频道淘宝网店
客服短信:18913948480
客服邮箱:web@unsv.com
初级VIP会员
全站英语学习资料下载。
¥98元/12个月
您的位置:首页 > 英语学习论坛

翻译研讨 —— 2009/9/26 美国故事:胎记

楼主:郑秀娟 日期: 回贴:9 浏览:

lrc.gif LRC 同步字幕歌词    pdf.gif PDF 节目文稿    mp3.gif MP3节目录音

From:http://www.unsv.com/voanews/specialenglish/scripts/2009/09/26/0045/

Our story today is called "The Birthmark." It was written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Here is Barbara Klein with the story.
我们今天的故事叫做 " 胎记 ." 它的作者是纳撒尼尔 . 霍索恩 .

(MUSIC)

STORYTELLER:

Nathaniel Hawthorne
A long time ago, there lived a skillful scientist who had experienced a spiritual reaction more striking than any chemical one.
打撒尼尔 . 霍索恩
很久以前 , 这里住着一个经历了对精神反应比任意一种化学品还要显著的灵巧的科学家 .

He had left his laboratory in the care of his assistant, washed the chemicals from his hands and asked a beautiful woman to become his wife. In those days new scientific discoveries such as electricity seemed to open paths into the area of miracles. It was not unusual for the love of science to compete with the love of a woman.
他离开了在他的助手照顾下的它的实验室 , 洗去了他手上的化学品 , 并且娶了一个漂亮的女人做了他的妻子 . 这些天新的实验发现像电流一样打开了通往奇迹领域的路 . 与爱一个女人相比 , 对科学的爱是不平常的 .

The scientist's name was Aylmer. He had so totally given himself to scientific studies that he could not be weakened by a second love. His love for his young wife could only be the stronger of the two if it could link itself with his love of science.
这个科学家的名字是艾尔默 . 他把他自己全部都交给了科学研究 , 不会因为第二种爱而对它有所削弱 . 如过能够把他对他年轻妻子的爱和他对科学的爱联系在一起 , 这种爱是唯一种更强烈一些的爱 ..

Such a union did take place with truly remarkable results. But one day, very soon after their marriage, Aylmer looked at his wife with a troubled expression.
如此的一个结合确实发生了一些非同寻常的结果 . 但是他们结婚后不久的一天 , 艾尔默用一种困惑的表情看着他的妻子 .

"Georgiana," he said, "have you ever considered that the mark upon your cheek might be removed"? "
乔治亚娜 ," 他说 ,"" 你考虑过把你脸颊上的胎记去掉吗 ?"
"No," she said smiling. But seeing the seriousness of his question, she said, "The mark has so often been called a charm that I was simple enough to imagine it might be so."
" 不 ," 她笑着说 , 但看到他提问时的严肃态度 , 她说 :" 这个胎记常常被称作是有魔力的 , 我也这么简单的幻想它的确是那样的 ."
"On another face it might," answered her husband, "but not on yours. No dear, Nature made you so perfectly that this small defect shocks me as being a sign of earthly imperfection."
" 在别人的脸上它可能是 ," 他的丈夫回答道 ," 但不是在你的脸上 . 不 , 亲爱的 , 大自然让你如此完美 , 但这个小缺点像一个世俗的不完美的标志让我震惊 .'

"Shocks you!" cried Georgiana, deeply hurt. Her face reddened and she burst into tears. "Then why did you marry me? You cannot love what shocks you!"
" 震惊你 !" 乔治亚娜哭了 , 深深地被伤害了 . 她的脸变红了 , 开始大哭起来 ." 那你为什么还要和我结婚 ? 你不可能爱上让你震惊的人 !"

We must explain that in the center of Georgiana's left cheek there was a mark, deep in her skin. The mark was usually a deep red color. When Georgiana blushed, the mark became less visible. But when she turned pale, there was the mark, like a red stain upon snow. The birthmark would come and go with the emotions in her heart.
我们必须解释在乔治亚娜的左脸颊的正中心有一块胎记 , 在她的皮肤深处 . 这个胎记平时是深红色 . 当乔治亚娜脸红的时候 , 胎记就很难被看见 . 但是当她变得苍白时 , 这个胎记就像白雪上的红颜料 . 胎记随着她内心的感情而来来去去 .

The mark was shaped like a very small human hand. Georgiana's past lovers used to say that the hand of a magical fairy had touched her face when she was born. Many a gentleman would have risked his life for the honor of kissing that mysterious hand.
这个胎记的形状像一个非常小的人类的手 . 乔治亚娜以前的情人们经常说当她出生时 , 有魔法的仙女的手抚摸了她的脸 . 很多绅士冒着生命的危险荣幸的亲吻那个有魔力的手 .

But other people had different opinions. Some women said the red hand quite destroyed the effect of Georgiana's beauty.
但是其他的人有不同的观点 . 一些女人说这个红色的手破坏了乔治亚娜美丽的影响力 .

Male observers who did not praise the mark simply wished it away so that they did not see it. After his marriage, Aylmer discovered that this was the case with himself.
不想表扬这个胎记的男性观察者只是希望它能够消失那样他们就看不看它了 . 结婚后 , 艾尔默发现了他自己就是这种情况 .
Had Georgiana been less beautiful, he might have felt his love increased by the prettiness of that little hand. But because she was otherwise so perfect, he found the mark had become unbearable.
乔治亚娜美丽削减了 , 他以为他的爱会因为那只小手的可爱而增加 . 但是因为她不是这样完美 , 他发现胎记变得无法忍受 .

(MUSIC)

Aylmer saw the mark as a sign of his wife's eventual sadness, sickness and death. Soon, the birthmark caused him more pain than Georgiana's beauty had ever given him pleasure.
艾尔默把胎记看做是她妻子的可能的悲哀 , 生病和死亡 . 很块 , 这胎记给他带来的痛苦多于乔治亚娜的美丽给他带来的快乐 .

During a period that should have been their happiest, Aylmer could only think of this disastrous subject. With the morning light, Aylmer opened his eyes upon his wife's face and recognized the sign of imperfection. When they sat together in the evening near the fire, he would look at the mark.
在那段本来应该是他们最快乐的时光 , 艾尔默只能想到这个灾难性的主题 . 早晨的光线艾尔默挣开他的眼镜看他妻子的脸 , 看到了缺陷的信号 . 夜晚他们靠近炉火旁坐在一起 , 他也能看到这个胎记 .
Georgiana soon began to fear his look. His expression would make her face go pale. And the birthmark would stand out like a red jewel on white stone.
乔治亚娜很快开始害怕他的注视 . 他的表情让她的脸变得苍白 . 那个胎记将像白石头上的红宝石一样突出 .
"Do you remember, dear Aylmer, about the dream you had last night about this hateful mark?" she asked with a weak smile.
" 你记得吗 , 亲爱的艾尔默 , 你昨天晚上关于这个令人讨厌的胎记的梦 ?" 她微微带着笑的问道 .

"None! None whatever!" answered Aylmer, surprised.
" 什么也没有 ! 什么也没有 !" 艾尔默奇怪的回答到 .

The mind is in a sad state when sleep cannot control its ghosts and allows them to break free with their secrets. Aylmer now remembered his dream. He had imagined himself with his assistant Aminadab trying to remove the birthmark with an operation. But the deeper his knife went, the deeper the small hand sank until it had caught hold of Georgiana's heart.
情绪处于悲伤的状态即使是睡觉的时候也不能控制它的幽灵 , 任由他们暴露它们额秘密 . 艾尔默现在记起了他的梦 . 他想象他和他的助手设法用手术消除那只小手 . 但是他的刀子走的越深 , 那个小手下沉的也就越深 , 直到它抓住了乔治亚娜的心脏 .

Aylmer felt guilty remembering the dream.
艾尔默因为想起了那个梦而感到内疚 .

"Aylmer," said Georgiana, "I do not know what the cost would be to both of us to remove this birthmark. Removing it could deform my face or damage my health."

" 艾尔默 ," 乔治亚娜说 ," 我不知道把这块胎记去掉我们俩将付出什么代价 , 去掉它可能会让我的脸变丑或者影响我的健康 ."

"Dearest Georgiana, I have spent much thought on the subject," said Aylmer. "I am sure it can be removed."
" 最亲爱的乔治亚娜 , 关于这件事我已经想了很久 ," 艾尔默说 " 我保证它能被去掉 .
"
"Then let the attempt be made at any risk," said Georgiana. "Life is not worth living while this hateful mark makes me the object of your horror. You have deep science and have made great discoveries. Remove this little mark for the sake of your peace and my own."
" 冒一切风险尝试吧 ," 乔治亚娜说 ." 如果这个令人讨厌的胎记让我成为你恐惧的对象 , 生命也不值得活着了 ."
"Dearest wife," cried Aylmer. "Do not doubt my power. I am ready to make this cheek as perfect as its pair."
" 最亲爱的妻子 ," 艾尔默哭了 ." 不要怀疑我的力量 . 我准备好把这个脸颊做的像它的另一半一样完美 ."

Her husband gently kissed her right cheek, the one without the red hand.
她的丈夫温柔地亲吻了她的右脸 .
(MUSIC)
音乐

The next day the couple went to Aylmer's laboratory where he had made all his famous discoveries. Georgiana would live in a beautiful room he had prepared nearby, while he worked tirelessly in his lab. One by one, Aylmer tried a series of powerful experiments on his wife. But the mark remained.
第二天夫妻俩来到艾尔默的实验室 , 他在那里制作了他所有的著名的发明 . 乔治亚娜将住在这个他不知疲倦的工作时在实验室附近准备的美丽的屋子里 . 一个接着一个 , 艾尔默在他的妻子身上尝试了一系列的有力的实验 . 但是胎记仍然在 .

Georgiana waited in her room. She read through his notebooks of scientific observations. She could not help see that many of his experiments had ended in failure. She decided to see for herself the scientist at work.
乔治亚娜在她的屋子里等着 . 她阅读他的科学观察笔记 . 她不经意的发现他的很多实验是以失败告终的 .

The first thing that struck Georgiana when entering the laboratory was the hot furnace. From the amount of soot above it, it seemed to have been burning for ages. She saw machines, tubes, cylinders and other containers for chemical experiments. What most drew her attention was Aylmer himself. He was nervous and pale as death as he worked on preparing a liquid.
一进实验室让乔治亚娜吃惊的是那个热反应炉 . 从它上面的烟灰的量来看 , 它看上去已经燃烧很久了 . 她看到了机器 , 显像管 , 量筒 , 和其他化学实验容器 . 最引起她注意的是艾尔默本身 . 他像要死了一样又紧张又苍白的准备着一种液体 .
Georgiana realized that her husband had been hiding his tension and fear.
乔治亚娜意思到他的丈夫之前隐藏了他的紧张和害怕 .

"Think not so little of me that you cannot be honest about the risks we are taking," she said. "I will drink whatever you make for me, even if it is a poison."

" 我们谈话的时候你完全不考虑我不肯诚实的告诉我这些风险 ," 她说 ." 无论你为我制作什么我都会喝下去 , 即使它是毒药 ."

"My dear, nothing shall be hidden," Aylmer said. "I have already given you chemicals powerful enough to change your entire physical system. Only one thing remains to be tried and if that fails, we are ruined!"
" 我亲爱的 , 什么都没隐瞒 ," 艾尔默说 ," 我已经给你准备了足够有效力的化学品来改变你的整个身体系统 . 只有一件事有待尝试 , 如果失败 , 我们都毁了 ! ”

He led her back to her room where she waited once more, alone with her thoughts. She hoped that for just one moment she could satisfy her husband's highest ideals. But she realized then that his mind would forever be on the march, always requiring something newer, better and more perfect.

他再一次让她回到她以前等待他的屋子里 , 心事重重 . 她希望她只需要等待一会就可以成为她丈夫的的最完美的理想中人 .

Hours later, Aylmer returned carrying a crystal glass with a colorless liquid.

几小时过去了 , 艾尔默拿着一个装有无色液体的水晶玻璃杯回来了 .

"The chemical process went perfectly," he said. "Unless all my science has tricked me, it cannot fail."

“ 化学反应过程进行的非常完美 ,” 他说 .” 除非我所有的科学都欺骗了我 , 它不可能失败 .”

To test the liquid, he placed a drop in the soil of a dying flower growing in a pot in the room. In a few moments, the plant became healthy and green once more.

为了测试这种液体 , 他把一滴液体滴在了屋子里一盆即将要死去的花的土壤里 , 一会儿后 , 这可植物变得越来越健康和绿了 .

"I do not need proof," Georgiana said quietly. "Give me the glass. I am happy to put my life in your hands." She drank the liquid and immediately fell asleep.

“ 我不需要任何证据 ,” 乔治亚娜平静的说 .” 给我玻璃杯 . 我很高兴把我的生命交在你手里 .” 她喝下了液体立刻就睡着了 .

Aylmer sat next to his wife, observing her and taking notes. He noted everything -- her breathing, the movement of an eyelid. He stared at the birthmark. And slowly, with every breath that came and went, it lost some of its brightness.

艾尔默挨着他的妻子 , 观察她斌做了记录 . 他目不转睛的看着胎记 . 慢慢地 , 随着呼吸的进出 , 它失去了原有的亮度 .

"By Heaven! It is nearly gone," said Aylmer. "Success! Success!"

“ 天哪 ! 它差不多消失了 ,” 艾尔默说道 .” 成功啦 ! 成功啦 !”

opened the window coverings to see her face in daylight. She was so pale. Georgiana opened her eyes and looked into the mirror her husband held. She tried to smile as she saw the barely visible mark.

艾尔默打开了窗户上的遮盖物好在日光下看她的脸 . 她的脸如此苍白 . 乔治亚娜睁开了她的眼睛从他的丈夫拿着的镜子里看去 . 当她看到几乎看不见了的胎记她尽量的笑了 .

"My poor Aylmer," she said gently. "You have aimed so high. With so high and pure a feeling, you have rejected the best the Earth could offer. I am dying, dearest."

“ 我可怜的艾尔默 ,” 她温柔的说 .” 你的目标如此的高 . 因为这么高而纯粹的感觉 , 你拒绝了地球给予你的最好的 . 我要死了 , 最亲爱的 .”

It was true. The hand on her face had been her link to life. As the last trace of color disappeared from her cheek, she gave her last breath.

这是真的 . 放在她脸上的手和她的生命联系在了一起 . 当最后一点颜色的痕迹从她的脸颊消失时 , 她给了最后一口气 .

Blinded by a meaningless imperfection and an impossible goal, Aylmer had thrown away her life and with it his chance for happiness. In trying to improve his lovely wife, he had failed to realize she had been perfect all along.

盲目的追求毫无意义的缺陷和不切实际的目标 , 艾尔默扔掉了她的生命和他幸福的机会 . 为了让他可爱的妻子更加完美 , 他没有意识到她一直都完美 . (MUSIC)

ANNOUNCER:

"The Birthmark" was written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It was adapted and produced by Dana Demange. Your storyteller was Barbara Klein. You can read and listen to other AMERICAN STORIES on our Web site, www.unsv.com. I'm Jim Tedder.

“ 胎记 ” 的作者是纳撒尼尔 . 霍索恩 , 它被丹尼改编并制作 . 你们故事的演讲者是芭芭拉·克莱因 . 你能在我们的网站上阅读和收听其他的美国故事 ,www.unsv.com. 我是吉姆 . 泰德 .

----------------------------------------
最佳回复 该帖于2009年10月3日被版主推荐为精华帖。

分享到:
1楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

A long time ago, there lived a skillful scientist who had experienced a spiritual reaction more striking than any chemical one.
打撒尼尔 . 霍索恩
很久以前 , 这里住着一个经历了对精神反应比任意一种化学品还要显著的灵巧的科学家 .

any chemical one --其中ONE 指的是REACTION

striking: very unusual or easily noticed, and therefore attracting a lot of attention

a spiritual reaction more striking than any chemical one--比任何化学反应都更引人注目的一次精神反应。

a skillful scientist  一位很能干的科学家。

很久以前,(那里)有一位很能干的科学家。他曾经历过一次比任何化学反应都更引入注目的精神反应。

2楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
 In those days new scientific discoveries such as electricity seemed to open paths into the area of miracles. It was not unusual for the love of science to compete with the love of a woman.
在那个年头,一些科学新发现,例如电的发现,就像是开拓了通往奇迹之路。将对科学之爱与对女人之爱做比较,不足为奇。
3楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

The scientist's name was Aylmer. He had so totally given himself to scientific studies that he could not be weakened by a second love. His love for his young wife could only be the stronger of the two if it could link itself with his love of science.
这个科学家的名字是艾尔默 . 他把他自己全部都交给了科学研究 , 不会因为第二种爱而对它有所削弱 . 如过能够把他对他年轻妻子的爱和他对科学的爱联系在一起 , 这种爱是唯一种更强烈一些的爱 ..

...如果夫妻情结不能与他的科学缘分连结在一起,夫妻情结就不如科学缘分了。

4楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

Had Georgiana been less beautiful, he might have felt his love increased by the prettiness of that little hand. But because she was otherwise so perfect, he found the mark had become unbearable.
乔治亚娜美丽削减了 , 他以为他的爱会因为那只小手的可爱而增加 . 但是因为她不是这样完美 , 他发现胎记变得无法忍受 .

如果她没有那么的美丽,或许他会因小手的可爱而增加对她的爱。不幸地,她是如此的美,所以他无法忍受那只手。

otherwise:作副词,意思是   differently, or in another way

5楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

"Think not so little of me that you cannot be honest about the risks we are taking," she said. "I will drink whatever you make for me, even if it is a poison."

" 我们谈话的时候你完全不考虑我不肯诚实的告诉我这些风险 ," 她说 ." 无论你为我制作什么我都会喝下去 , 即使它是毒

Think not so little of me that you cannot be honest about the risks we are taking=

Think so little of me that you can be honest about the riske we are taking

心中无我,你就能够坦然面对我们正承担的风险。

6楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

"My dear, nothing shall be hidden," Aylmer said. "I have already given you chemicals powerful enough to change your entire physical system. Only one thing remains to be tried and if that fails, we are ruined!"
" 我亲爱的 , 什么都没隐瞒 ," 艾尔默说 ," 我已经给你准备了足够有效力的化学品来改变你的整个身体系统 . 只有一件事有待尝试 , 如果失败 , 我们都毁了 !

...nothing shall be hidden...是因为something has been hidden,但现在不再隐瞒了,所以就“把实话都告诉吧。你已经服用了好几种化学品,效力之强大,足可以改变你的整个身体系统。现在就剩下最后一种化学品要试验,如果失败 , 我们都毁了 !

7楼 作者:booby 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

He led her back to her room where she waited once more, alone with her thoughts. She hoped that for just one moment she could satisfy her husband's highest ideals. But she realized then that his mind would forever be on the march, always requiring something newer, better and more perfect.

他再一次让她回到她以前等待他的屋子里 , 心事重重。。

He led her back to her room where she waited once more语法结构上定语从句,但描写的是相继发生的两件事。

他把她领回到她自己的房间。在那,她再一次孤独地期待着,期待着能满足丈夫至高理想的那瞬间。但她同时也知道,丈夫的追求是无止境的;总是要求更新,更好,更完美的东西。

8楼 作者:yzms 创建: <编辑>  <引用>
actually,this is a story with many words about chemistry.and it's hard to handle it accurately.many user did their best and show us a understandable story. thanks a lot.
9楼 作者:Lisa 创建: <编辑>  <引用>

很久以前,有一个技艺精湛的科学家,他经历了一场比任何化学反应都要触目惊心的心灵反应。

版权所有©2003-2019 南京通享科技有限公司,保留所有权利。未经书面许可,严禁转载本站内容,违者追究法律责任。 互联网经营ICP证:苏B2-20120186
网站备案:苏公网安备 32010202011039号苏ICP备05000269号-1中国工业和信息化部网站备案查询
广播台