官方APP下载:英语学习播客(支持苹果手机、安卓手机)
创办于2003年
UNSV记不住?那就记中文谐音“忧安思危”吧!
  Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
UNSV英语学习频道 - Slow and steady wins the race!
公众微信服务号(英语全能特训)
英语全能特训(微信公众服务号)
UNSV英语学习频道淘宝网店
客服短信:18913948480
客服邮箱:web@unsv.com
初级VIP会员
全站英语学习资料下载。
¥98元/12个月
您的位置:首页 > 英语学习论坛

2009年11月15日 星期日 美国人物——海伦•凯勒,1880-1968,她成为世界上最有名的残疾人

楼主:anna 日期: 回贴:0 浏览:

lrc.gif LRC 同步字幕歌词    pdf.gif PDF 节目文件    mp3.gif MP3节目录音

http://www.unsv.com/voanews/specialenglish/scripts/2009/11/15/0045/

PEOPLE IN AMERICA - Helen Keller, 1880-1968: She Became the Most Famous Disabled Person in the World

美国人物——海伦•凯勒,1880-1968,她成为世界上最有名的残疾人

We reported last week that Helen Keller suffered from a strange sickness when she was only nineteen months old. It made her completely blind and deaf. For the next five years she had no way of successfully communicating with other people.

我们上周报道了海伦·凯勒,当她出生仅19个月就得了一场怪病,使她彻底失明变聋。其后五年中,她无法正常与他人交流。

Then, a teacher -- Anne Sullivan -- arrived from Boston to help her. Miss Sullivan herself had once been blind. She tried to teach Helen to live like other people. She taught her how to use her hands as a way of speaking.

随后,安·苏利文,一位来自波斯顿的老师来帮助她。苏利文小姐本人也曾失明过,她试着教海伦像其他人那样生活。教她怎样用手来表达自己。

Miss Sullivan took Helen out into the woods to explore nature. They also went to the circus, the theater, and even to factories. Miss Sullivan explained everything in the language she and Helen used -- a language of touch -- of fingers and hands. Helen also learned how to ride a horse, to swim, to row a boat and, even to climb trees.

苏利文小姐带海伦到森林中去,探寻自然的奥秘。他们也去杂技团、剧院、甚至工厂。苏利文小姐阐释了她和海伦使用的语言中的每样东西,那是一种触摸语言,靠手指和双手(来交流)。海伦也学会了骑马、游泳、划船,甚至爬树。

Helen Keller once wrote about these early days.

海伦曾这样描绘早年的那些日子:

"One beautiful spring morning I was alone in my room, reading. Suddenly, a wonderful smell in the air made me get up and put out my hands. The spirit of spring seemed to be passing in my room. 'What is it?' I asked. The next minute I knew it was coming from the mimosa tree outside.

“一个美丽的春天的早晨,我独自一人在房间里读书。突然,一阵香气袭来,我情不自禁站起身来,伸出双手。春之神似乎正在我的房间穿行。‘那是什么?’我问道。紧接着我便知道,那是外面含羞树的气息。

I walked outside to the edge of the garden, toward the tree. There it was, shaking in the warm sunshine. Its long branches, so heavy with flowers, almost touched the ground. I walked through the flowers to the tree itself and then just stood silent. Then I put my foot on the tree and pulled myself up into it. I climbed higher and higher until I reached a little seat. Long ago someone had put it there. I sat for a long time. . . Nothing in all the world was like this."

我走到外面花园的边上,对着那棵含羞树。它就在那里,在温暖的阳光下轻轻摇动。长长的枝条上花朵累累,几乎触到地上。我沿着花枝往上攀行,一会儿,又伫立不动了。然后,我把一只脚放在树上,慢慢向上扑去。我爬得越来越高,最后摸到一个小座位坐着。很久以前就有人把座位放在那里。我坐了很长一段时间……全世界上再没有比这更惬意的事了。”

Later, Helen learned that nature could be cruel as well as beautiful. Strangely enough she discovered this in a different kind of tree.

后来,海伦也懂得了,自然界不仅美丽,有时也会很凶暴。说也奇怪,她还是通过一棵树懂得这一点的。

"One day my teacher and I were returning from a long walk. It was a fine morning. But it started to get warm and heavy. We stopped to rest two or three times. Our last stop was under a cherry tree a short way from the house.

“一天,老师和我从很远的路往回走。那是一个阳光明媚的早晨,可是后来天气变得炎热沉闷起来。我们休息了两三次,最后一次是在离我家房子不远的一棵樱桃树下。

The shade was nice and the tree was easy to climb. Miss Sullivan climbed with me. It was so cool up in the tree we decided to have lunch there. I promised to sit still until she went to the house for some food. Suddenly a change came over the tree. I knew the sky was black because all the heat, which meant light to me, had died out of the air. A strange odor came up to me from the earth. I knew it -- it was the odor which always comes before a thunderstorm.

树的荫凉很好,树也很容易爬。苏利文小姐和我一起爬了上去。树上非常凉快,我们决定就在树上吃午餐。我答应坐稳,苏利文小姐便回家拿点东西来吃。突然,(我感到)树上起了某种变化,便知道天色变暗,因为我熟知的光热已从空中消散。我闻到地底升起一股奇怪的气味,我熟悉这种气味,它是雷雨来临前的一贯征兆。

I felt alone, cut off from friends, high above the firm earth. I was frightened, and wanted my teacher. I wanted to get down from that tree quickly. But I was no help to myself. There was a moment of terrible silence.

(突然间)感到孤独失友,与地隔绝。我很害怕,想要老师(快来)。我想赶快从树上下来,但没人帮我。一时间安静得可怕。

Then a sudden and violent wind began to shake the tree and its leaves kept coming down all around me. I almost fell. I wanted to jump, but was afraid to do so. I tried to make myself small in the tree, as the branches rubbed against me. Just as I thought that both the tree and I were going to fall, a hand touched me. . . It was my teacher. I held her with all my strength then shook with joy to feel the solid earth under my feet. "

这时,狂风突起,树动叶飘,乱飞身来。我几欲吹倒,寻思跳下树去,又惶恐难行;想蜷成一团,缩在树上,而树动枝晃,孰敢迈步!正当神思晃惚,树与我皆欲倾倒之时,一只手探了过来……是我的老师!我用尽全力,紧紧拥抱着她,这时我欣喜地感觉到脚下坚实的大地。”

Miss Sullivan stayed with Helen for many years. She taught Helen how to read, how to write and how to speak. She helped her to get ready for school and college. More than anything, Helen wanted to do what others did, and do it just as well.

苏利文小姐与海伦相伴多年,她教海伦如何阅读,如何写作,又如何说话;她帮她作好准备,去上中学和大学。最为难得的是,海伦想做他人所做之事,而且做得与他人一样好。

In time, Helen did go to college and completed her studies with high honors. But it was a hard struggle. Few of the books she needed were written in the Braille language that the blind could read by touching pages. Miss Sullivan and others had to teach her what was in these books by forming words in her hands.

最终,海伦走进了大学殿堂,完成了学业,获得很高的荣誉,但求学过程也极为艰难。她所需之书几乎没有多少是用布莱莱叶文写成的(布莱莱叶文是用手触摸页面来阅读的),苏利文小姐和其他老师必须在她手上不停地写单词,才能教她书中的内容。

The study of geometry and physics was especially difficult. Helen could only learn about squares, triangles, and other geometrical forms by making them with wires. She kept feeling the different shapes of these wires until she could see them in her mind.

几何和物理的学习尤为困难。海伦仅能通过拼凑金属线(的方法),才能(勉强)学习正方形、三角形和其它几何图形。她反复感受这些金属线拼成的各种形状,心中渐渐有了图形的轮廓。

During her second year at college, Miss Keller wrote the story of her life and what college meant to her. This is what she wrote.

在她大学二年级时,海伦小姐写了一篇文章,叙述她大学生活的经历和大学的意义。她是这样写的:

"My first day at Radcliffe College was of great interest. Some powerful force inside me made me test my mind. I wanted to learn if it was as good as that of others.

“我在Radcliffe大学的第一天兴致很高,内心有一股强大的力量使我暗下决心:我想学习知识,想知道自己是否能够跟他人学得一样好。

I learned many things at college. One thing, I slowly learned was that knowledge does not just mean power, as some people say. Knowledge leads to happiness, because to have it is to know what is true and real.

“大学期间我学习了许多东西。有一样东西,我是慢慢体会到的:人说知识就是力量,我说。知识还是通往幸福的桥梁,因为要拥有知识,就是要明晓知识的真实性和实际性。

To know what great men of the past have thought, said and done is to feel the heartbeat of humanity down through the ages."

“要理解伟人所思、所言、所为,就是要去感受人类的心灵穿越时空(依然有力地)搏动。”

All of Helen Keller's knowledge reached her mind through her sense of touch and smell, and of course her feelings.

海伦·凯勒心中所学的所有知识都是通过她的触觉和嗅觉,当然,更是内心的感觉完成的。

To know a flower was to touch it, feel it, and smell it. This sense of touch became greatly developed as she got older.

要了解一朵花,就要去触摸它(的茎叶),感受它(的形状),闻它(的芳香)。在她长大之后,这种触感大行其道。

She once said that hands speak almost as loudly as words.

她曾说,手语与话语一样掷地有声。

She said the touch of some hands frightened her. The people seem so empty of joy that when she touched their cold fingers it is as if she were shaking hands with a storm.

她曾说,触摸有些人的手时她深感恐惧,这些人(心中)似乎毫无乐趣,当她触摸到他们冰冷的手指、与他们握手时,她感到风雨毕至,(甚至如入冰窖。)

She found the hands of others full of sunshine and warmth.

她也找到了充满阳光与温暖之手。

Strangely enough, Helen Keller learned to love things she could not hear, music for example. She did this through her sense of touch.

说来也怪,海伦·凯勒学会了热爱像音乐这种无法听见的东西。通过触摸,她感受到了音乐的美。

When waves of air beat against her, she felt them. Sometimes she put her hand to a singer's throat. She often stood for hours with her hands on a piano while it was played. Once, she listened to an organ. Its powerful sounds made her move her body in rhythm with the music.

当音乐的浪潮向她冲击而来,她感受到了这种震撼。有时她将手放在歌手的喉间。钢琴演奏时,她通常一站数小时,将手放在钢琴上。有一次,她听手风琴演奏,强烈的音乐节奏使得她立身而起,随乐而舞。

She also liked to go to museums.

她也喜欢参观博物馆。

She thought she understood sculpture as well as others. Her fingers told her the true size, and the feel of the material.

她认为自己对雕塑的理解丝毫不逊于他人。手指能够告诉她雕塑真实的形状,以及材质的感觉。

What did Helen Keller think of herself? What did she think about the tragic loss of her sight and hearing? This is what she wrote as a young girl:

海伦·凯勒如何评价自己?对于视觉和听觉的丧失,她又是如何思考的?童年时代的她是这样写的:

"Sometimes a sense of loneliness covers me like a cold mist -- I sit alone and wait at life's shut door. Beyond, there is light and music and sweet friendship, but I may not enter. Silence sits heavy upon my soul.

“有时,孤独的感觉像冷雾一样将我包围——我独坐孤室,等待生活关闭之门向我开启。远远的地方,光明(璀璨),音乐(如潮),密友(如斯),我无法企及,心中为静谧所盘踞。

Then comes hope with a sweet smile and says softly, 'There is joy in forgetting one's self.' And so I try to make the light in others' eyes my sun. . . The music in others' ears my symphony. . . The smile on others' lips my happiness."

这时,希望悄然而至。(眼前出现)甜蜜的微笑,(耳畔响起)温柔的话语:‘忘掉自己吧,欢乐就在这里!’于是,我就把他人眼中之光,看作我眼中的太阳;他人耳畔的音乐,想象成我耳中的交响乐……他人唇边的微笑,便是我的幸福了。”

Helen Keller was tall and strong. When she spoke, her face looked very alive. It helped give meaning to her words. She often felt the faces of close friends when she was talking to them to discover their feelings. She and Miss Sullivan both were known for their sense of humor. They enjoyed jokes and laughing at funny things that happened to themselves or others.

海伦·凯勒身材修长,体格健壮。她说话时,面部表情生动,这使她的语言更有意义。与好友交谈时,她常常用手触摸她们的脸庞,感受她们的心情。她和苏利文小姐都以幽默著称,她们都乐于开玩笑,对自己和他人身上(发生的)有趣之事大笑不止。

Helen Keller had to work hard to support herself after she finished college. She spoke to many groups around the country. She wrote several books. And she made one movie based on her life. Her main goal was to increase public interest in the difficulties of people with physical problems.

海伦·凯勒大学毕业之后,不得不努力工作,养活自己。她在全国各地巡回演说,她著书立说,还拍摄了一部以她人生为题材的电影。她的主要目标就是增加公众兴趣,(帮助人们了解)身残之人的种种困境。

The work Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan did has been written and talked about for many years. Their success showed how people can conquer great difficulties.

海伦·凯勒和安·苏利文所作的工作已被写成传记,多年以来一直为人传诵。她们的成功向世人展示,面临巨大的困难,人们是如何征服的。

Anne Sullivan died in nineteen thirty-six, blind herself. Before Miss Sullivan died, Helen wrote and said many kind things about her.

安·苏利文小姐于1936年逝世,她本人亦是盲人。苏利文小姐逝世之前,对她的善举,海伦写下许多文章,说过许多话语:

"It was the genius of my teacher, her sympathy, her love which made my first years of education so beautiful.

“是恩师的天才教育、同情之心及热爱之心,使得我早期的教育如此绚丽多彩。

My teacher is so near to me that I do not think of myself as apart from her. All the best of me belongs to her. Everything I am today was awakened by her loving touch."

恩师总是近在身前,与我密不可分。身之所长,皆归功于她;今日之成,皆因其点化。“

Helen Keller died on June first, nineteen sixty-eight. She was eighty-seven years old. Her message of courage and hope remains.

海伦·凯勒于196861日逝世,享年87岁。斯人已逝,英魂犹存;(时光飞弛,)彼愿唯真。

----------------------------------------
最佳回复 该帖于2009年11月17日被版主推荐为精华帖。

分享到:
版权所有©2003-2019 南京通享科技有限公司,保留所有权利。未经书面许可,严禁转载本站内容,违者追究法律责任。 互联网经营ICP证:苏B2-20120186
网站备案:苏公网安备 32010202011039号苏ICP备05000269号-1中国工业和信息化部网站备案查询
广播台